Will Power

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Keane Eager To Stake Claim

Mike Keane says nerves are a thing of the past for him as he aims to stake his claim with a fourth outing in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday.

The defender made his Barclays Premier League bow as a substitute in the 1-1 draw at Sunderland after his other three appearances came in the League Cup. If selected for the trip to MK Dons, the 20-year-old will aim to show Louis van Gaal he is capable of pushing for a place this season after impressive loan moves in the Championship.

"Obviously, I'm used to playing against men now," he told MUTV. "I've been playing in the league for a good year-and-a-half and am used to that. I am also used to playing for points in every game and knowing what the games mean to the fans, players and staff.

"I'm getting used to the crowds, too. I don't get really nervous playing in front of big crowds any more. Obviously, I get a bit of nerves before the game but, once I start playing, I'm fine. Going on loan helps with that.

"You just get excited, really. Maybe, a couple of years ago, I got a bit nervous but it turns into excitement and you look forward to the game.

"I've played three times already in the competition and, to be fair, I love it. It's when I get my chance so hopefully I will again on Tuesday. United want to win every game in every competition and, if I get a chance and do really well, you never know, I might get thrown in for the next game in the Premier League.

"The manager has shown he's not scared of playing young players and that is what I'm trying to do if I get picked. The manager is really experienced, really positive and precise with what he wants from everybody. There is no doubting what he is after. He is straight with you and you couldn't ask any more."

Keane expects the Dons to be awkward opponents as they have won admirers for their style of play in League One under Karl Robinson.

"They've got a good, young team, with some good players," he added. "We won't take it easy and will have to play really well if we want to progress."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home