Will Power

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Van Gaal Reveals Champions League Ambition

Louis van Gaal admits his ultimate aim is to win the UEFA Champions League during his reign as Manchester United manager.

The Dutchman won the competition with Ajax and is putting the building blocks in place to target a fourth European Cup triumph at Old Trafford. The fact the draw took place this week without United highlighted the need for the Reds to regain a place among the continental elite and the manager is convinced he will achieve this goal.

"I never doubt myself," van Gaal explained during a press conference at the Aon Training Complex. "We have made steps in our process. This process needs time. We are building up a new team and I hope we will succeed. I hope we are in the top four this season and then, the next step, is to be the champions and then, the next step, is to be the winners of the Champions League. That takes time.

"Of course, I am a trainer-coach who is used to being in the Champions League so, for me, it is also a little bit strange that we are not in it. We shall work very hard to be in it next season."

There are no fresh developments on the transfer front after Wilfried Zaha's loan move back to Crystal Palace was agreed on Thursday.

"I don't know about transfers between now and Monday because I am not the one who can choose," he explained. "I give my opinion and the player can do what he wants with that opinion. Of course, I shall say which players I want [to sign] and which are better to leave but Ed [Woodward] is handling the transfer market. I don't interfere in that process.

"Before I started, I said that I shall give every player a fair chance and I have done that. The players that were not in the United States played against MK Dons [in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday night].

"I have given players a chance before 1 September to move or not. It is their choice. I have always said that. I don't think it was good if I came as manager and wanted 11 new players. I have given the players a chance here."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home