Will Power

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Van Gaal Explains Valdes Training Agreement

Louis van Gaal has played down the significance of Victor Valdes training with Manchester United - and was reluctant to be drawn on the subject of signing the former Barcelona goalkeeper in the future.

Valdes tore his anterior cruciate ligament in March and missed the World Cup in Brazil as a result. He turned down a new contract at Camp Nou in the summer and on Thursday accepted an offer to complete his rehabilitation at the Aon Training Complex.

Van Gaal worked with the Spain international as Barcelona manager during the 2002/03 season and, while talking to reporters on Friday afternoon, the Dutchman spoke positively about the 32-year-old stopper.

"For me it's not a surprise because I have done it already with a lot of players," he said. "I have a relationship with a lot of players. I gave Ronald de Boer or Edgar Davids rehabilitation possibility or training possibility when they needed that, so he is one of these players.

"Robin van Persie, when he played for me in the Dutch squad last year, I allowed him to come to our medical department to get him fit for the World Cup. It's the same. I wasn't the manager of United at the time. So I have always done that, and not only with big players but ones you've never heard of."

When quizzed on the possibility of signing Valdes on a full-time basis, the manager was coy in his response: "Manchester United always has their eyes open," he explained.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home