Will Power

Monday, October 27, 2014

Wilson Explains Shirt Number Change

James Wilson has revealed why he moved shirt numbers ahead of the 2014/15 Barclays Premier League season.

The Manchester United striker, who came off the bench to help the Reds earn a 1-1 draw with Chelsea on Sunday, switched from 47 to 49 in the summer after scoring twice in the previous shirt on his debut against Hull City in the final home fixture of last term.

"I asked why it had changed as it wasn't my decision and, because I'm a striker, the gaffer wanted me to have a nine in my number," the teenager told ManUtd.com. "So he has moved me up to 49. I could have been 99 in theory, but 49 was the closest one."

Louis van Gaal clearly feels the centre-forward will benefit from the psychological effect and continues to involve him in his first-team plans as he also entered the fray as a substitute in the win over Everton earlier in the month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home