Will Power

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Young Happy To Continue At Left-back

Manchester United's Ashley Young enjoyed his run-out at left-back during the 3-0 victory against Hull City and would be happy to reprise the role in Tuesday's clash with Stoke City.

The winger caught the eye with a substitute appearance at wing-back in place of Luke Shaw at Arsenal and adapted superbly to playing on the left-hand side of a four-man defence in the England youngster's absence on Saturday.

Nobody is epitomising the versatility and fluidity of the squad more than Young, who has worked hard to prove his capabilities in different roles since Louis van Gaal took charge.

"Obviously it's a new position for me to play in but I know the job that I have got to do there because we practised during the week," he told ManUtd.com. "I knew what I was supposed to go out there and do and it was fluid. Everyone was rotating and everyone was moving. I don't think Hull could deal with that.

"We got on the scoresheet early on and needed to attack and be aggressive in our play against them, pressurising high up. It paid off because we kept on winning the ball back. It was hard for Hull to pick players up, particularly our midfielders, and the way they rotate means it is always difficult for a team to play against. It's always nice to see players rotate in front of you as you are able to get the ball and find an easy pass and just go forward and attack.

"When we were two goals ahead, we said at half-time we had to get that next goal as it was going to be important they didn't score next. We got it through Robin [van Persie], it was a fantastic goal and, after that, we controlled the game."

Young still got forward to good effect and provided one inviting cross with his left foot that was headed off target by Marouane Fellaini in the second half.

"In that position, you have to get forward as well at times," he explained. "Obviously, you have to defend but it's always nice to be going forward rather than defending. I think I showed that, being a winger, that I knew when to break forward and when to defend. I got a cross in and was joking to Felli after the game I wish he'd scored because I'd get the assist! We got three goals and three points and that is all that matters."

When asked if he would look forward to retaining the position for the visit of Stoke, he replied: "Of course. If the manager wants me to play there again, of course I'll help out. I'm delighted to be playing football again. I'd been out for so long and it was a frustrating time but I'm back now and hopefully the injuries are behind me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home