Will Power

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Marcos Rojo Explains Hard-man Image

Marcus Rojo admits his personality transforms once he takes to the field for Manchester United - to the point where even his own family and friends do not recognise him.

Since arriving at Old Trafford in the summer, the 24-year-old Argentinian has become known for his relaxed demeanour and is rarely seen without a smile on his face. However, that image contrasts heavily with the aggressive, all-action style of play that he adopts while marshalling the Reds' back-line.

During an exclusive interview for the Boxing Day edition of United Review, the club’s official matchday programme, Rojo reveals the extent of his ‘split personality’ and explains how his upbringing in La Plata has shaped his entire approach to defending.

“I’m totally different off the field to what I am on it,” the South American insists. “People who know me, like my Mum and my partner for example, always say to me: ‘How come you are so different off the field when you are always chilled out and smiling whereas, when you step out on to the pitch, your face changes’… They say it’s like someone else is going out there to play!

“But I am not scared to put in a challenge,” the tough no.5 continues. “What it is, from being a young kid, I used to play football around my neighbourhood in La Plata with kids who were much older than me. I would be aged 10 and playing against lads who were 18 and they would play hard and not hold back, and that’s how I grew up.”

Rojo has missed United’s last two outings against Liverpool and Aston Villa with a thigh injury - as Louis van Gaal confirmed on Saturday - but hopes to return over the festive period.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home