Will Power

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Mata: My First Year As A Red


As he celebrates his one-year anniversary at Manchester United, Juan Mata looks back on his first 12 months as a Red in our exclusive interview...

Becoming a United player I have many memories of that day, including the way I came to the training ground! [by helicopter]. I met the players, I went to Old Trafford – everything from that day was a big moment that I will always remember.

Being a record signing I was very excited about everything. Obviously you feel very lucky to come here in a transfer like that and I just wanted to give back all this confidence [shown in me] on the pitch. The welcome was unbelievable from everyone at the club – the staff, the players, the fans, everyone who works for United. Obviously the size of the club and reaction around the world to the transfer was incredible. It was a bit like "whoa, it's a massive club".

Best game I don't know which to say. I always remember my first game against Cardiff. We've had some good games, such as Newcastle away and Liverpool at home this season. There have been some good games personally and for the team.

Playing at Old Trafford It's just the feeling of playing here. The atmosphere against Liverpool a few weeks ago was unbelievable. The moment we walked on to the pitch, you felt that this was an incredible game and realised that millions of people were following it.

First goal against Villa It was a right-foot finish [smiles]. It was a bit messy, not like Messi the player but messy the way the ball rebounded two or three times in the box! But I managed to score with my right leg and I felt relieved as it had taken me a few games and I wanted to score as soon as possible. From then I had a good run of goals, so it was the beginning of a good time for me.

Best goal I liked the two free-kicks I scored at Newcastle and Southampton last season. They were good goals.

Reds on tour The pre-season tour made me realise how big the club is. Once we were on the tour and travelling around, we saw how many supporters we had against teams like Real Madrid and Inter Milan. We had more fans than anyone in the States. I expect places like Asia and Australia are the same – it's unbelievable the support we get around the world.

Working with Louis van Gaal I think we are all learning from the manager. He is a great character and a great coach. The way he wants to play football is the right way, which is an attacking way. That means we try to work hard with the ball, try to create space to pass the ball quickly and to switch it from side to side. I really like the way he sees football and we are all trying to do our best for him, the staff and for Ryan [Giggs].

Favourite memory so far I would probably say the first day I arrived here and then my debut, which was two or three days later. We won, the fans voted me Man of the Match and everything was perfect that day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home