Will Power

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Herrera Wants To Continue Goalscoring Form

Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera says he is determined to continue his fine goalscoring form for the club, after finding the net against Swansea last weekend.

The Spaniard's strike at the Liberty Stadium was his fifth of the season - meaning he has already equalled his career-best total from last season at Athletic Bilbao - and previous tallies suggest Herrera's record is improving.

The midfielder scored once during his debut campaign in La Liga, a consolation in Real Zaragoza's 4-1 defeat to Real Mallorca in December 2009. Herrera doubled his figures in 2010/11, netting at the beginning of the season against Malaga, before helping the club to a comprehensive 4-0 win over Valencia.

Upon joining home-town side Bilbao in February 2011, Herrera had to wait until November for his first goal for the club against Salzburg and got on the scoresheet against Barcelona in the league three days later. The midfielder again scored twice in 2012/13, including another vital effort against the Catalan giants.

Last season was Herrera's most prolific in front of goal, an achievement he is keen to better for United following important strikes against Yeovil and Preston in the FA Cup earlier this campaign.

“I haven’t really got a target for goals, I think we’re a very attacking side and I just want to help," he told ManUtd.com. "I knew that scoring goals was one of the things I could improve on, but I don’t want to stop now, I want to keep working and helping the team. The most important thing is that we win, but of course, when I score I’m happy."

Herrera was speaking at a special event at Old Trafford organised by the Manchester United Foundation, aimed at getting more girls aged 14 and over involved in regular football activities. The Premier League Girls programme is delivered by the Foundation through 13 partner schools throughout Greater Manchester and Herrera was delighted to lend his support.

“The event was great," he added. "I’m very pleased to help the club because I think this kind of thing is very good for society. I’m really pleased to be involved; when the club wants me to I’m always going to be ready to do these activities.

"Not many girls played football when I was growing up. Now, it’s getting better and there are more and more all the time. It’s important because football can help to educate people and teach them values too."

Attentions now turn to Saturday's Barclays Premier League meeting at home to Sunderland, one which Herrera says will be very important in the battle for a Champions League place.

“I think it's the biggest of the season, the next game is always the biggest," he added. "We can regain third position because Southampton had a tough game [against Liverpool]. Our goal is to be in the top four, to get Champions League football and win the FA Cup - we don’t want to drop out of the top four.

"We didn’t beat Sunderland at the start of the season, and now we have a good chance to beat them at home. We respect all our our rivals, but we must start the game on top."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home