Will Power

Monday, March 23, 2015

Van Gaal Might Extend United Contract

Louis van Gaal has reiterated his desire to retire when his reign as Manchester United manager comes to an end, although the Dutchman has hinted he may yet extend his contract at Old Trafford.

Van Gaal signed a three-year deal in the summer and has previously stated his wish to walk away from football at the close of the 2016/17 season, when he plans to spend more time with his family. However, the 63-year-old admits his mind could potentially change when the time comes.

Asked to confirm if United will be his last management job in football, van Gaal said: “Yes, but it can still be five years, I can extend my contract.

“I have promised my wife but you never know. What I have said before, you always have to be in the situation and then you can decide. Now I am in the situation where I have signed for three years because in three years’ time you can build up something. They [the club] would agree with that.

“I don't know how I shall react in the circumstances when Manchester United ask me extend, and if I shall do that. But this is my last club.”

Van Gaal is preparing for Sunday's match with Liverpool, a club that approached him to be their manager before appointing Brendan Rodgers in May 2012.

“Yes, I spoke to them, but it is not so interesting anymore,” he explains. “Last week, it was the same with Tottenham Hotspur. I have spoken to a lot of clubs. It is not so interesting, it is the past and it is not good for Liverpool, not good for Tottenham for me to open things that have already passed.”

The boss is flattered that so many clubs have been interested in his services: “I am very pleased with that, because I could work every year. I have to take sabbaticals to please my wife and my kids and my grandchildren. I was always in the circumstances to manage a club, I am a lucky guy.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home