Will Power

Sunday, November 29, 2015

McNair Lauds Defensive Effort


Paddy McNair believes Manchester United must go into December on a high as the Reds look to go top of the Barclays Premier League this weekend.

Victory at the King Power Stadium on Saturday would see Louis Van Gaal’s side leapfrog the current league leaders, something McNair believes will give United confidence ahead of a busy Christmas schedule.

The Northern Irishman acknowledged the Reds' stout defence as a key part of this season's success but stressed how vital it is to work together in every position.

“I don’t think it’s just the defence, it’s up front as well," he told MUTV. "They’re stopping the players coming through; the midfield too, so they’re making the job slightly easier. But the back four, the defence, has been brilliant.

"Every game you go into, you’re always looking to win. To beat Leicester and go top will give us the confidence for the period ahead.”

Media attention will no doubt turn to Jamie Vardy ahead of the clash, as the in-form striker aims to break a record previously set by former Red Ruud van Nistelrooy, by scoring for the 11th consecutive game. Asked about the Leicester man, McNair added: “He’s in top form. If we can stop him, it’s going to help us get the three points.”

An injury sustained in Finland on international duty for Northern Ireland kept the young defender in hospital for three nights, but his recovery has been quicker than expected. But McNair, who watched United’s goalless draw against PSV from the bench on Wednesday night, is keen to look ahead to his next involvement with the squad.

“It was a weird injury," he said. "The doctor came out and said I’d ruptured my liver, and I thought I’d just bruised a couple of ribs, so it was bit of a shock.

“I started training last week and came on against Watford. It was nice to get 30 minutes and get back to full fitness. Chris Smalling is playing brilliantly and he’s been giving me little tips, so I’ll take that on board and, when I get my chance, I’ll take it.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home