Will Power

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Herrera Rues Courtois Save


Ander Herrera admits he was ready to celebrate putting Manchester United in front against Chelsea, only to be denied by Thibaut Courtois's world-class save in the second half.

The energetic midfielder latched onto Anthony Martial's cross from the left and looked certain to score in front of the Stretford End, only for the Blues keeper to pull off an outstanding reflex stop.

It meant more frustration for the Reds as a goalless draw leaves the side in sixth position in the table but Herrera was satisfied with a much-improved overall performance.

"I think I put my foot correctly," he told MUTV. "I was in the right position. The cross of Anthony, I think, was very good, so I didn’t know if [Cesar] Azpilicueta touched the ball.

"I don't know what happened, to be honest. I was going to celebrate it and saw the ball was not in. So we cannot complain any more. We showed today we were the better team but it was not enough. We cannot be happy but we can be proud of what we did today. We have to be realistic, we have to win games but this is the way we have to play, I think."

Although both teams appeared to tire in the closing stages, after a second match in quick succession following the Boxing Day exertions, there was plenty to admire in an open game despite the scoreline.

"You can see Chelsea are a threat despite their situation," Herrera said. "They are very, very tough and have fantastic players. I think we were the better team. We played with a lot of energy and passion, the way we have to play, but I cannot say too much, just talk on the pitch and make our fans proud.

"I think the Premier League gives you always a chance of incorporating yourselves into the race [for the top places] and I think we did everything today. In the last 20 minutes, it’s true your mind is not at the same speed as your legs, as you think you cannot work anymore, but now we have to rest for a couple of days and fight again."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home