Will Power

Monday, January 25, 2016

Louis van Gaal Admits Struggle To Match Fans Expectations


Louis van Gaal has accepted that he is failing to match the expectations of the Manchester United fans.

On Saturday, Charlie Austin's 87th minute header condemned United to a 1-0 defeat against Southampton at Old Trafford, with Van Gaal targeted by a certain section of supporters at the final whistle.

The defeat has left United in fifth place in the Premier League table, five points off Tottenham in the fourth and final Champions League spot.

With only 15 matches remaining in the season, pressure is mounting on Van Gaal and the Dutchman admits he is struggling to live up to standards demanded by the United faithful.

"I'm very disappointed that I cannot reach the expectations of the fans," the United manager said.

"They have - or they had - great expectations of me, and I cannot fulfil them, so I am very frustrated because of that."

United have scored just 28 times in the Premier League this season and the blank against Southampton was the eighth time they have failed to score in a league match.

When asked about the jeering he received at the final whistle, Van Gaal added: "I agree with them, so it doesn't have any impact (on me).

"They have also knowledge of football, of entertaining football, and you have to play football to entertain the fans.

"(On Saturday), I don't think we have entertained the fans, so they can be very angry."

Van Gaal has spent in excess of £250m since being appointed as United's manager in 2014, but bridled at the suggestion he has been wasteful in the transfer market.

"We have also sold a lot of players. I never read that," he said.

"You know when Manchester United is coming, we have to pay much more than another club, so that's also an analysis, and it is not rubbish what I am saying.

Credit: Skysports.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home