Will Power

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Jose: Forget Last 3 Years

Jose Mourinho has told Manchester United supporters to forget the last three years in his first interview as the new manager at Old Trafford.

The Portuguese was confirmed as United boss on Friday, after Sky Sports News HQ broke the news that he had signed the contract on Thursday, succeeding his sacked former mentor Louis van Gaal.

Since Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013 - the year Mourinho reportedly originally wanted the job - the Reds have failed to qualify for the Champions League twice and won just one trophy - this season's FA Cup - which proved to be Van Gaal's last game in charge.

Speaking to MUTV after signing his three-year-contract, Mourinho said he will give everything to restore the club to the top of world football and spoke of the affinity he has had with United supporters since he first took Porto to Old Trafford in 2004.

He said: "I feel great. I am honoured, I am proud, I am everything. But I am here to work and I cannot wait until July 7 to go out on the pitch.

"I think it comes in the right moment in my career because Manchester United is one of these clubs that I call a giant club. You need to be prepared for it and they need the best managers. I think I am ready.

"We can look at our club in two perspectives. One is the past three years, and another is the club history. I prefer to forget the past three years and focus on the history, and the giant club that I have in my hands now.

"I will give absolutely everything to go in the direction we want. I think the fans are expecting me to say that I want to win, and the players need to listen that I want to win.

"I think the players and supporters want to feel that I say that, but we can, really - it's not just to say.

"I think I know what the fans can give me. They know what I can give them. The most important thing is the players, and the relationship with the players and them."

Mourinho has faced the Reds on 20 occasions in all competitions as an opposition manager, presiding over nine wins, nine draws and just two defeats, and he says he has always felt a connection with the club's supporters.

He said: "It is important and curious that I play so many times against them at Old Trafford, with other clubs, and there was empathy, no problems, and I was pushed sometimes to say things that my clubs were not happy with.

"I remember when we won at Old Trafford with Real Madrid [2012-13 Champions League last 16] and I said that the best team lost, and Real Madrid was not very happy."

Credit: Skysports.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home