Will Power

Saturday, June 11, 2016

De Gea: Manchester United Need A Manager Like Jose Mourinho

David de Gea believes Jose Mourinho is the type of coach with a winning mentality that Manchester United have been missing in recent years.

Mourinho took over from Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford last month after the Dutchman managed to deliver just one trophy in his two years at the club.

The FA Cup victory in May was the club's first piece of major silverware since the departure of Sir Alex Ferguson in 2013 and De Gea has praised the decision to bring Mourinho to the club.

"I think United needed a coach like him - a winning coach with personality," De Gea told Spanish radio show El Larguero.

"United's decision to sign Mourinho is the right move."

Van Gaal failed to steer his side out of their Champions League group last campaign and United failed to make it past the last 16 of the Europa League, despite spending in the region of £250m on transfers.

Frustration over United's decline and the team's style of play increased steadily during his reign and De Gea himself came close to a move away from the club last summer.

The 25-year-old's proposed transfer to Real Madrid collapsed at the 11th hour of the transfer window in September, but the goalkeeper insists he is now happy in Manchester and is not looking to resurrect the deal.

"I do not know anything, but that does not worry me now," said De Gea.

"I have three more years [on my contract] in Manchester, at a club that has given me everything. In addition, I am not thinking about anything apart from the national team.

"No-one from Real Madrid has called me, I am already used to the [newspaper] front pages but now I am focused on the national team. The European Championship starts and I cannot think about anything else."
De Gea is expected to start in goal ahead of Iker Casillas in Spain's Euro 2016 opener against the Czech Republic on Monday.

Credit: Skysports.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home