Will Power

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Henderson Playing The Long Game


In the third part of an exclusive series focusing on Manchester United's young stars who are hoping for a big 2016/17, ManUtd.com's Adam Marshall shines the spotlight on young goalkeeper Dean Henderson...

Dean Henderson was in dreamland in February when he was recalled from a loan spell at Stockport County in order to make the bench for United's FA Cup tie at Shrewsbury Town.

With Joel Castro Pereira cup-tied after participating in the competition during a stint at Rochdale, it opened the door for Henderson, who was only 18 at the time. For all the excitement, having met and talked to the young keeper, it is probably something he would have taken in his stride.

A confident, assured figure with the belief in his ability that is required to make it at the top level, Henderson has the character that suggests his competitive nature will take him a long way. Whether it's studying YouTube clips of Peter Schmeichel or scrutinising David De Gea in training, he appears to be obsessed with the art of goalkeeping.

It's often said to be a lonely position but there is a special bond among the goalies at any club. "I think we do always help each other off the pitch but, on the pitch, it's the most competitive place to be," he asserted. "I definitely need to keep on top of the gym work to be more powerful and have more speed. I need to maintain that to get to the top."

It all started at Carlisle United for Henderson when he switched from playing on the right wing or up front when an illness for the regular keeper in a schoolboy game at Blackpool presented an opening. "I went in net and saved a couple of penalties," he recalled. "The next thing they wanted me in sticks and I wasn't too happy but I started diving around in the mud, enjoyed it and went from there.

"I spoke with my mum and dad, and they were worried I'd lose any potential to be an outfield player but, personally, I liked diving in the wet and cold and just sliding around. I came to United when I was 14 years old and had a couple of trial games. [Then goalkeeping coach] Eric Steele brought me in and was very good with me.

"I was really nervous but excited at the same time, coming to one of the biggest clubs in the world and someone I'd supported. I signed in the summer. At first, being a northern lad, it's a bit isolated up there in Carlisle, I found it difficult being in a big city like Manchester on my own at 14 but I had good people around to support and help me along the way.

"People like Scott McTominay, Joe Riley and Oli Rathbone took me under their wing and helped me through the early months at the club. As you grow older, you become one of the regulars yourself to help other people and the new lads coming in."

Competition is always fierce for a goalkeeping spot - he was one of five to be named on the first-team bench last term with Sam Johnstone, Sergio Romero, De Gea and Pereira the others. Henderson made two appearances for Warren Joyce's Reserves side, both in the Lancashire Senior Cup, and was named captain for the win at Blackpool to reflect his outgoing personality. Always very vocal during games, he was the first choice in the UEFA Youth League but suffered an injury during the defeat to PSV Eindhoven in November that proved a real setback.

When regaining his fitness, he headed out to Stockport for experience and did well enough to have the deal extended, being voted Man of the Match in a 0-0 draw with Curzon Ashton. The recall from United came as a result of De Gea sustaining an injury before the Midtjylland tie in the Europa League tie and, although a remarkable debut never materialised, the shock development will have shown Henderson just how quickly opportunities can arise in the game.

The challenge now will be to force his way into Joyce's side on a regular basis, buoyed by the knowledge that he performed well in his Lancashire Cup outings - against Rochdale and Blackpool - making a number of fine stops. He was substitute on 11 occasions in the Under-21 league and, after displaying patience, will be determined to show he can step up in 2016/17, regardless of what the future holds.

Physically, he should become even more imposing, which will only help his cause. "Funnily enough, my Dad is about 6ft 4ins, my Mum is 6ft and my brother is a tall lad. So I was always confident I'd be tall enough. I've just got to 6ft 2ins but a few of my growth plates are still open so, hopefully, I'll keep going maybe another inch or so," he declared during our interview earlier in the season.

Like any youngster at Old Trafford, the teenager is fully aware how difficult it is to become a first-team regular - and even more so for a keeper. The last youth product to become the regular no.1 was Mark Bosnich and even he had to prove himself elsewhere at Aston Villa before returning to Manchester under the Bosman Ruling.

But Henderson is obviously willing to play the long game. "I’ve got the same ambitions as the boys at United, 100 per cent," he vowed. "With the goalkeeping situation, it’ll take a few more years. Obviously David is the best in the world, and at the moment I’m learning a lot from him."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home