Will Power

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Mourinho: We Have To Beat Zorya

It’s only matchday two in the Europa League but Jose Mourinho already feels Thursday’s encounter with Zorya Luhansk is a must-win game for Manchester United.

United’s defeat to Feyenoord in the opening Group A game earlier this month, coupled with Zorya’s draw against Fenerbahce, means the Reds are playing catch-up going into the Old Trafford clash against the little-known Ukrainian side.

"To be honest, I think we have to win," Mourinho said at his pre-match press conference. "If we don’t win, I would say we’d have to win all the last four matches, which is difficult, so I think it is very important that we win this game."

Mourinho therefore confirmed he will approach Thursday’s game differently to the 1-0 defeat in the Netherlands, for which he made eight changes, and revealed Zlatan Ibrahimovic will start.

When United were pitted against Zorya last month, the boss admitted he didn't know much about "the Ukrainian team and their quality", but he and his coaching staff have since done their homework on an outfit he expects to be full of energy and motivation.

"I know [about them] because I watch matches – I watched their match against Fenerbahce, I watched their match against Dynamo Kiev," Jose continued. 

"I chose two good ones, two big ones – one at home, one away, against two difficult opponents and now I know what I saw, what I watched, what I analysed. One of my assistants went to watch their game against Fenerbahce live and another one went to the game against Dynamo. 

"So we tried to collect the important information to give to our players, so our players know the way they play, their important players, their style, their philosophy, their dynamics and yes, I think we are prepared."

Mourinho added on MUTV: "The Europa League is a competition Man United isn't normally in, so when these teams have a giant like Man United in front of them, it's a huge moment for them and they come to the game with incredible motivation. 

"This team defends well and they have three attacking players that I used to call 'runners' because they run and counter-attack."

The manager also had a message for the sections of the media who were quick to criticise his side after the recent three-game losing run.

"If we manage to win the game, we will win three matches in one week," Mourinho said. "So if we do that, I will wait to see if your reaction is as good as it was with three defeats in a week. But for that, we need to win."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home