Will Power

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Mourinho: Wembley Is An Amazing Stadium

Jose Mourinho has described Wembley as an "amazing stadium" as he prepares to lead out his Manchester United team in today's EFL Cup final against Southampton.

The Reds will be aiming to lift the League Cup for the fifth time, while victory over the Saints would be Mourinho’s fourth success in the competition and make him the first United manager to win a major trophy in his debut season at Old Trafford.

The boss has already overseen one United match at England's national stadium - August's Community Shield victory against Leicester City - and it's a venue he has always enjoyed visiting, whether as a coach or spectator. 

"It's fantastic," he told journalists on Friday. "I was at the old Wembley as Mr van Gaal's assistant in a Champions League match, Arsenal v Barcelona, and it was magnificent. The feeling was magnificent.
"Then I went back for Euro '96 and I watched Gazza [Paul Gascoigne] score against Scotland [for England]. Amazing.

"I managed to go to the first FA Cup final at the new Wembley [a 1-0 win for Chelsea over United]. And I always like to be back, even for Community Shields. It's an amazing stadium to play in."

Mourinho believes winning Sunday’s final could be crucial for his players' mentality as his squad continue to compete on three other fronts, including the FA Cup won so memorably last May.

"I think when you have the taste of good things, you want to repeat," the manager said. "When you get used to winning, you miss it when you don't win. You don't accept it, you are always chasing for more success, so I think it's a good thing for the players if we manage to win another trophy and keep fighting for more, because we have chances in other competitions this season.

"We all know the history of this club, we all know football is changing, we all know it's much more difficult than it was before, but last season, a very difficult season for the club and for the players, all together with their manager they managed to win a trophy. It was a good taste for them, so we have to try."

Wayne Rooney ended speculation linking him with a move away from Old Trafford this week and Mourinho confirmed the striker would be involved at Wembley. However, the manager wouldn't be drawn on whether his club captain will lift the trophy, should United win.

"I don't know. I don't care," he said. "If we win, I don't care who lifts the cup. I don't care, I just want to win the match.

"He's our captain, playing or being on the bench. Being on the bench and coming on, or starting and leaving the pitch, I think he's always our captain. So I don't care [who lifts the cup], I don't think he cares, I don't think anyone cares. We just want to win."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home