Will Power

Friday, March 31, 2017

Pereira: I Feel Like A United Player

Andreas Pereira may be on loan at Granada but the fact the talented midfielder has had the knowledge he is a Manchester United player in his mind throughout has helped him to shine.

Although Granada are embroiled in a relegation fight in La Liga, the 21-year-old has enjoyed an excellent campaign on a personal level, holding down a permanent place in the side by making 26 league appearances, 25 of them as a starter.

Coach Lucas Alcaraz has trusted Pereira after replacing Paco Jemez at the helm and the Brazil Under-20 international has kept in regular contact with the United staff and players. It all bodes well for the youngster, who is determined to fight for a place in Jose Mourinho's first-team squad next season.

"I'm playing well," he told ManUtd.com. "I’m trying to do my job and am getting a lot of minutes. For me, it’s been very good playing here at a high level in Spain, in La Liga, every week. I get to train and focus hard for the games and, for me, it’s been very good. Unfortunately for the team, it’s been a bit difficult this season but we’re trying to get out of this situation as quickly as possible.

"There are a lot of young players here so I think, in the beginning, it was very difficult as we didn’t know each other. After the second round of games, we played better and better as we got to know each other more and more. So I think things will get better for us in the last 10 games now.

"It’s a very good league and a very high level. The football here is different than in England but it’s good to test yourself to see what level you are at and to improve every week."

Pereira has more than held his own in midfield against some of the star names in Spanish football when taking on the likes of Atletico Madrid, Barcelona and Real Madrid, an observation we put to him.

"Thank you," he replied. "I try to do my best and, yes, it's very special to play against the big teams like that. I’m very happy that I could play a good game against the big teams and it is good for my confidence to see players who have competed at the highest level in the world and, when playing against them, you can do damage to them, like you can to other teams.

"I always keep in my mind that I’m a Manchester United player and I should do what I’m doing. That is the main aim. I always have this in my mind. I should do well against everyone and I always keep this in my thoughts."

The change in coach did not hamper Pereira's progress and the words of encouragement from Old Trafford have also helped him push on this season, as planned.

"I was worried in the beginning as I came here because of him [Jemez]," the midfielder said. "When he was sacked, I was wondering a bit what is going to happen now? I just focused and worked hard, like I am doing now, and the new manager came in and liked the way I played and the things I did. I am still playing so I think that’s a good sign.

"It was also nice to hear from Jose Mourinho [ahead of the loan] and it’s nice that the people at United trust me and I always feel that they are watching. For me, that’s very important. I don’t feel like you’re left alone, when you go on loan, if you know what I mean, and it feels good. I still feel part of it. I’m doing my thing here but I’m still a United player and that’s the end of the story.

"[Assistant manager] Rui Faria sometimes sends me messages and asks how it is going. He contacted me to say I scored a good goal and I am happy when I get recognised for doing good things and to know that they’re watching. I’m very happy that the fans watch me too and I am focused here in Granada on taking them out of this situation. Hopefully, I will come back next season and show the fans and everyone at United that I am ready.

"I speak with Adnan [Januzaj] sometimes and [Paul] Pogba, Timothy [Fosu-Mensah], [Eric] Bailly, [Antonio] Valencia. I keep in touch with lots of players, [Juan] Mata too, as I was there a long time and they’re my friends. I miss them as well, to be honest, so it’s good to keep in touch. Sometimes, when we have days off, we try to see each other but it’s difficult with the flights here as there are none direct from Manchester."

The gifted schemer's goal remains to succeed at United, even if his short-term aims are obviously concentrated on Granada and their battle to beat the drop.

"It’s my dream to play for United on a regular basis," he stressed. "It always has been a dream but now I’m here at Granada and I have to focus here to get us out of this situation. My dream will always be there and, next season, I will fight for it.

"We have 10 games left here so I can’t say it’s impossible. It will be hard, of course, but I will try my best until the very last game and try to ensure we’re not relegated."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home