Will Power

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Sir Alex: I Tried To Sign Maldini

Sir Alex Ferguson was always known to be shrewd in the transfer market, yet even the greatest manager in British football could not prize the ever-loyal Paolo Maldini away from AC Milan.

The Italian defender is among the most famous one-club men in the game after making 904 appearances for the San Siro side across a 24-season career, impressively winning seven Serie A titles, five Champions League trophies and 14 other major cups, while also earning 127 international caps.  

Maldini joined Sir Alex on stage to launch Tour 2017, presented by Aon, in New York City on Tuesday night and our former manager revealed an amusing tale about the time he ambitiously enquired about a deal with the Rossoneri.

“I did try but, when I met his father [ex-coach Cesare], he was quite formidable,” Sir Alex said, when asked if he ever wanted Paolo to play for United. “I got a shake of the head and that was all. He said 'my grandfather is Milan, my father is Milan, I am Milan and my son is Milan... forget it!’”

Maldini, who retired aged 40 in May 2009, was unaware of the request but politely admitted he would not have left his beloved Milan. “The good part about it is that he [his father] has never talked to me about it. There was no chance though!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home