Will Power

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Wes Brown Expecting Big Things From United

Wes Brown feels the competition for places in the Manchester United defence this season will bring the best out of everybody, following the signing of Victor Lindelof and emergence of Axel Tuanzebe.

Lindelof shares certain qualities with former Reds star Brown, who is taking part in the Legends game against Barcelona on 2 September at Old Trafford. Tuanzebe, like the ex-England international, is a homegrown talent who has come through the ranks at United.

With attacking recruit Romelu Lukaku showing real promise in pre-season with his goalscoring ability, the signs are certainly looking positive for Jose Mourinho's men ahead of 2017/18.

"I think we'll do better," Brown told MUTV last week. "Obviously, with the signings that we've made, I'm sure the gaffer will want some more. But I think that they are two great signings at the moment - especially Lukaku with the goals he can produce. We could do with a few of those goals at home as well, where we did draw a lot last season. 

"I've seen a little bit of Lindelof and he's very calm and looks strong on the ball. I think it will be him and Eric Bailly to start with and hopefully they can start to understand each other very early on, so it can become a good partnership and they can go on from there. That can be the base.

"Axel did well last season and it's brilliant. I feel it's good that he [Mourinho] is still putting the young lads in. It gives them a great opportunity."

Brown knows there is a need to instantly adapt to top-flight football in order to push on at United and agrees with Head of Academy Nicky Butt's assessment that this is even harder than making that initial breakthrough.

"It happened to me and if they can just take it and focus on that, I'm sure they will do well and have great futures in their careers," Brown said of the younger players. 

"I remember that night before I made my debut [in 1998] perfectly now. I didn't sleep that night, it was probably the only time that happened, yet I didn't actually start against Leeds because I came on as a sub. But it was a great experience, marking Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, and I just really wanted to do well.

"I have seen a lot of youngsters have a few games where you know they're good players but it's just not quite happened for them and, at a big club like Manchester United, you have to take your chance early rather than later."
Brown believes the current crop of Academy products are in the right hands with Butt in charge of the youth system.

"I'm sure Nicky will be looking at everything spot-on and giving his best knowledge about the lads to the gaffer," he added. "It's great that he's there because he knows all the ins and outs and obviously he's a legend.

"I think we have a good set-up here. I know Chelsea and Manchester City have done well in the last few years in the FA Youth Cup but we are still producing some good players. As long as one or two a year can push into the first-team training then it's an achievement."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home