Will Power

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Bailly Excited By UEFA Champions League Bow

Manchester United defender Eric Bailly is excited by the prospect of making his UEFA Champions League debut, admitting it's something he has always dreamed about.

The Ivorian missed the Reds' 3-0 win over Swiss champions FC Basel at Old Trafford a fortnight ago, as he completed a UEFA ban following his red card against Celta Vigo in the Europa League last term.

The centre-back, who has been an ever-present in the Premier League this season, is expected to start as Jose Mourinho's men take on CSKA Moscow on Wednesday night in the second Group A game. Speaking in an interview with MUTV recently, he couldn't contain his excitement about appearing in Europe's elite competition for the first time.

"With regards to the Champions League, I'm available," he said. "My suspension has finished now and I am very happy. It's something I've been looking forward to so much. I am content and I hope I will be in the team."

The Reds are back in the Champions League this term, by virtue of winning the Europa League last season, and Bailly insists he will be focusing on the competition as he fulfils a career ambition.

"For me, it is very, very important because I've always dreamed of playing in the Champions League but I have only made the Europa League until now," said Bailly, who didn't play in the top competition with his previous club Villarreal.

"My dream of the Champions League is about to come true. I am happy and I am mentally ready for the game."

Bailly has watched many Champions League matches with envy over the years and our no.3 believes taking in lots of games has inspired him ahead of his first outing in the competition.

"There are Champions League matches that have really wowed me – like when I saw the final [last season] between Real Madrid and Juventus," the 23-year-old recalled. "There are plenty of other matches too, it's also something that motivates me.

"To see that tournament is really important for me, to draw experience from it until the moment when I have the opportunity to be involved in the team and play in the Champions League myself."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home