Will Power

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Mourinho's Verdict On Liverpool Draw


Jose Mourinho has described Manchester United’s 0-0 stalemate against Liverpool at Anfield as “a positive point”.

The Reds kept another clean sheet and maintained our unbeaten run in the Premier League by playing out a goalless draw against Jurgen Klopp’s men on Merseyside, but drew a blank for the first time this season. 

Here is what the boss had to say in his post-match interview with Sky Sports  and in his press conference…

REFLECTING ON THE GAME  
“In the first half, we had the ball and were always compact. We had a few shots in the second half. They played with a very strong midfield of [Emre] Can, [Georginio] Wijnaldum and [Jordan] Henderson for 90 minutes but, in the second half, I had no-one on the bench to change the direction of the game. I thought they were afraid of our counter attack. I just tried to improve in attacking areas where I could surprise them, but they kept a strong organisation in midfield. I was waiting for him [Jurgen Klopp] to break it [the play] a bit more. But he didn’t let it break. A point, in this long marathon? A point at Anfield is OK.”

FEW OPTIONS ON THE BENCH
“The opposition was good today, but we played our game. In the first half, we had a couple of very good chances and good control of the game. In the second half, [Nemanja] Matic tired and I had no solutions on the bench. I tried with my substitutions to make us more dynamic in attack but, in reality, we lost power and energy and control in midfield.”

THE APPROACH FROM BOTH TEAMS
“I think he [Klopp] did well. He didn’t let the game break. I think [Jesse] Lingard and [Marcus] Rashford were waiting for the game to break but it did not. I think they were very good team from a defensive point of view, much pressing. The only chance I had to change the direction of the game was to bring players on with speed and maybe, they are going to change their formation but they didn’t. The second half was like a game of chess but my opponent didn’t open the door for me to win the game.”

TACTICAL INSIGHT
“We came for three points but in the second half we felt it difficult to do that with the match and the dynamic it had. I was waiting for Jurgen to change to go more attacking but he kept the three strong midfield players all the time and he had control. I had only Herrera and Matic. When I brought on Rashford and Lingard, I expected him [Klopp] to change but he kept the three which means his midfield was stronger today. At times, I was waiting for my team to do something but I couldn’t do anything with no midfielder on the bench. The second half was like a game of chess but my opponent didn’t open the door for me to win the game.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home