Will Power

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Matic Wins Prestigious Serbian Award

Nemanja Matic has taken life at Manchester United completely in his stride and his exploits for club and country throughout 2017 have led to him winning a special award in his homeland.

The Reds midfielder has claimed the 'Captain's Award' which has been run by Serbian daily newspaper Vecernje Novosti since 1970. The accolade recognises Serbia's Player of the Year and is voted for by the captains of the teams in the country's top league. And, for the third time in four years, (he also won it in 2014 and 2015), Matic has been named the star man.

"This award is for a famous newspaper in Serbia where all the captains from the First Division teams vote and they chose me as best player for 2017 which I'm very happy about," Matic told us. "I am very proud because when the captains vote, that means something. I’m happy and I say thanks to them. It’s a pleasure to be chosen."

Matic follows fellow countryman and former United skipper Nemanja Vidic in winning the prize. Indeed, Vidic is the record holder having won it six times. A huge admirer of the Reds' ex-captain, Matic actually ended up playing in Vidic's position in the 2-2 draw with Burnley on Boxing Day, when he was switched to centre-back at half-time. It's a position he admits he's never played in before despite performing brilliantly on the day.

"Obviously, I like to play in midfield but if I need to help the team and the coach wants me to play in any position, I will do it," he added. "Even goalkeeper, if we need it. I hope that never needs to happen [laughs], but, if it does, I am there to help. For me, it’s important to play, it doesn’t matter what position."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home