Will Power

Friday, March 30, 2018

Herrera: Why I Have My Full Name On Shirt

Ander Herrera has shed light on why he has his full name on the back of his shirt as he answered fans' queries in a YouTube Q&A.

Speaking to United's official YouTube channel, the Spanish midfielder also explained how he acquired the no.21 earlier in his career, which other sport he plays and what he thinks of the infamous Manchester weather.

When did you first watch United play? Did you watch the 1999 Champions League final?
I think so. At least it’s my first memory. That was my first memory of United and what a memory. I remember the end of the game was incredible. The way they came back and they were against Bayern Munich, and maybe I watched United before, but my first memory is that one.

Which goal of yours do you think is the best in a United shirt?
Every goal for United is important and I’m very happy for that. But maybe the one that I scored in FA Cup against Yeovil Town away. Three seasons ago, I think [2015].

Whose autograph would you take if you had the chance?
Morgan Freeman, I think. He’s an actor that I really admire.

Who is your favourite musician? Also, you’re a great player!
Thank you very much, first of all. And second, I like music but I’m not a big fan of just one musical style, so I couldn't tell just one singer. I really like, for example, Juan Luis Guerra, he’s from the Dominican Republic and I’m open for all of the styles. David [De Gea] likes to play the music in the dressing room and sometimes I don’t agree with him, but you have to respect him!

What’s your favourite thing to do on a free day in Manchester?
I am quite a homely guy. I like to be at home, but I like to know, to meet and to visit new places. One of my passions is food, so I like to know different restaurants, new restaurants, new places to eat and everything. You can send me some advice on places to visit, that’ll be very helpful.

Why is your shirt no. 21? Is there a reason?
No. I used to wear no.8 when I was in Zaragoza in my first club. I was two seasons in La Liga, in the first division, and then I moved to Athletic Bilbao and I remember I had the 21, 23 and maybe 17 was free. I took 21, I spent three fantastic seasons at Athletic Bilbao, things went very good for me, so I just kept it.

Why do you have your full name on the back of your shirt?
Same reason, but also because in Zaragoza, my hometown, my club that I grew up, I used to be known as Ander, just Ander. So I had on my shirt, Ander, and when I moved to Bilbao, everyone used to name me more like Ander Herrera because in Bilbao it’s a Basque name, and there used to be more Anders, if you know what I mean, more people who are called Ander. So, to make the people differentiate between me and, for example, a team-mate that I used to have, Ander Iturraspe, I put Ander Herrera. Not just one specific reason, just because there are more people named in the team like me.

What is your favourite Manchester United kit from your time here?
From my time here, the last season with the three lines on the sides, I really liked that and we won three titles, so also because of that.

How long did it take for you to get used to the weather in Manchester?
I’m not used to yet. But, I cannot complain. I’m playing for a fantastic club. People in Manchester are very, very affectionate, you say, open to help, always ready to help, very happy. Even with the weather they are smiling all the time, they are ready to help you. So, the weather is not a problem for me.

For a young player what is the most important thing to improve on e.g. stamina, weak foot, skills etc.?
I think the understanding of the game. I mean, you can have fantastic skills, you can have a fantastic shot, you can be very quick, the quickest. You have to realise when you have to shoot, when you have to pass, when you have to run or when you have to just stop the ball and let the team breathe, so the understanding of the game, for example like with Juan Mata. Juan is not the quickest, he doesn’t shoot the strongest, but he understands the game. He knows what to do in every moment, when he has to pass, when he has to shoot, or when he has to just keep the ball.

Where's your favourite place to go on holiday?
Ibiza. I think we have the best place in the world in my country, in Spain. And, Ibiza is my favourite.

I've always respected the way you represent United on and off the pitch. How do you handle the pressure and scrutiny of modern football?
First of all, thank you. I just try to give back to all of you all of the affection that you have given me all of this year and secondly, I feel very, very proud to be a Manchester United player, to play for the greatest club in the UK. And with the pressure, to be honest I just try to work hard every day, when I am going to play a game, I just try to train that week very hard. I just try to know who I am playing against, I try to respect the opponent and when I do, I just try to take care of myself in terms of food, rest, sleep and when I do all of that, I just feel ready to play and I just feel ready to perform and to give my best. That is the way I cope with the pressure. When you do all these things, when you work hard, when you respect the opponent, and when you do all that is in your hands to perform, you have to be calm and go and play.

Which 3 guys would you bring to keep you company on a desert island?
The two Spaniards of course. David and Juan and also Marcos Rojo, because I have a great relation with him and he is a very funny guy.

Hey Ander, just wondering if you play any other sports?
I really like tennis. When I have free time in summer overall, I really like to play tennis. I still have to improve a lot, because I have one friend in Spain that normally beats me every day we play. I always go with all of my expectations, I try to give everything, but I am not the best in tennis. I will try to improve when I, overall, leave football, I hope maybe in 20 or 30 years, I will try to train and to be better at tennis.

I just want to say that I love the way you play every game. No question needed.
Thank you very much. And, as I said before, I just try to give everything for United every time I am on the pitch. I’ve been here already four years, all the love you give me is just amazing, sometimes I don’t even deserve it and I just try to give everything back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home