Will Power

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Herrera: Why my full name is on the shirt

Ander Herrera's strong bond with Manchester United supporters began four years ago today when he joined the club from Athletic Club in Bilbao.

The Spanish midfielder has since become a firm fans' favourite, making him an ideal candidate for a Q&A on our official YouTube channel earlier this year. One of the queries that came up concerned his United shirt and the reasons why he wears no.21 and his full name across his back.

“I used to wear no.8 when I was at my first club in Zaragoza,“ Herrera recalled. ”I spent two seasons in La Liga, in the first division, and then I moved to Athletic Bilbao.

“I had shirt no.21 there. I think 23 and maybe 17 were free. But I took 21, I spent three fantastic seasons at Athletic Bilbao and things went very well for me so I just kept it.”

As for the reasoning behind the use of his full name, Ander said: “In Zaragoza, my hometown, my club that I grew up at, I used to be known as Ander and just Ander.

“So I had Ander on my shirt and when I moved to Bilbao, everyone used to name me more like Ander Herrera because in Bilbao it’s a Basque name. There used to be more people who are called Ander, so to make the people differentiate between me and, for example, a team-mate that I used to have named Ander Iturraspe, I put Ander Herrera. There is not just one specific reason.”

HERRERA'S Q&A

When did you first watch United play? Did you watch the 1999 Champions League final?
I think so. At least it’s my first memory. That was my first memory of United and what a memory. I remember the end of the game was incredible, the way they came back against Bayern Munich to win. Maybe I had watched United before, but my first memory is that match.

Which of your goals for United do you rate as the best?
Every goal for United is important and I’m always very happy to score. But maybe the one that I scored in the FA Cup against Yeovil Town away, three seasons ago, I think [2015].

Who is your favourite musician?
I’m not a big fan of just one musical style, so I couldn't name just one singer. I really like, for example, Juan Luis Guerra, he’s from the Dominican Republic but I’m open to all styles of music. David [De Gea] likes to play the music in the dressing room and sometimes I don’t agree with his choices but you have to respect him!

What’s your favourite thing to do on a free day in Manchester?
I am quite a homely guy. I like to be at home, but I like to know, to meet and to visit new places. One of my passions is food, so I like to know different restaurants and new places to eat. You can send me some advice on places to visit, that would be very helpful!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home