Will Power

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Martial: The men who influenced me

In this evening's edition of United Review, the historic matchday programme at Old Trafford, Anthony Martial reveals the club he supported as a child and the many iconic players who have inspired his flourishing Reds career to date.

Scroll down to read part of the in-form France international's exclusive interview...

Martial says

“When I was a kid my favourite team was Lyon. It was at the time when almost all the best players were at the club. Lyon was really my team and that was also the reason I went to their Academy.”

Martial says

“Karim Benzema was there, Juninho Pernambucano, with the great free-kicks. There was Lisandro Lopez, who went there after that. They had a lot of good players.”

Anthony Martial says

“I always followed English football… Manchester United because Patrice Evra was there and he comes from the same town as me. I followed Arsenal as Thierry Henry was there, also from Les Ulis.”

Anthony Martial says

“My two big heroes were both Brazilian: Ronaldinho and Ronaldo, because they had magic in their feet! Just about every player from my age group back then would probably tell you the same thing.”

Anthony Martial says

“Then, for my French heroes, I had Thierry Henry, of course, and then Zinedine Zidane, Zizou. They were the best. I admired strikers, number 10s.”

Anthony Martial says

“I used to watch videos of everyone! Henry, Ronaldo – and another player who I really liked was Nicolas Anelka. He was a really great player, quick with loads of skill.”

Anthony Martial says

“I would watch every striker on the internet, and sometimes, right before a game, I’d be by myself watching action clips, so I’d be able to reproduce what they were doing in those videos.”

Anthony Martial says

“It was Cristiano Ronaldo. He was incredible. He is incredible. I only admired players who dribbled the ball and he did just that. He would put on a real show. To tell you the truth, he got me dreaming that one day it could be me.”

Martial says

“If I was a kid of 14 today, who would I admire? Current players today? For me, I think it would have to be Juan Mata. He is class personified.”









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home