Will Power

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Dalot: It's been a good month for me to learn

Diogo Dalot believes Manchester United's winning run under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has provided a great learning experience for him as he continues to adapt to life in English football.

The 19-year-old has made 12 appearances in all competitions so far in his debut season at United, since arriving from FC Porto in his native Portugal last summer.

The Reds have won eight games out of eight since Solskjaer became caretaker manager and will be looking to maintain that 100 per cent record against Burnley at Old Trafford tonight (Tuesday).

Speaking to United Review, the young defender explained how much our impressive form has helped him personally.

“It’s been very good,” said Diogo. “When you are in a winning team, you are always happy and the expectations start to get a little more higher - you need to be prepared for that. It’s been quite a good month for me to learn from, and I think we are now in a very good position to fight for our goals.”

'I COULDN'T WISH FOR BETTER TEAM-MATES'

Dalot has appeared in four of Solskjaer’s eight matches in charge so far and told the club’s official matchday programme, United Review, what specific advice Ole and the coaching staff have given him.

“Just to improve and fight for every day,” the full-back said. ”I’m young, I need to learn a lot, and just to try to train properly every day and give my best.“

Diogo has also credited his team-mates for their part in making his transition from Portugal to England much easier.

”These amazing colleagues have been great with me,“ Dalot added. ”The adaptation [after joining] was very good for me because of them. They’ve helped me a lot and I couldn’t wish for better than them.“

'I KNEW I WOULD NEED TO BE PREPARED'

Dalot is still getting used to the rigours of Premier League football but tries to study our opponents as much as possible so he knows what to expect in every match he could be involved in.

“I try to know the teams that I am going to play against and, when I can, I watch every game,” he said. ”When I came here, I knew that it would be a high level and difficult; that it would be hard and I would need to be prepared.

“For me, the quality of the league was not surprising, but it was good, because this is the kind of level that I like to play at. I try to concentrate on my game, and not specifically the opponent that I will face. But everyone has their qualities, so it’s important to always be focused.”

Diogo was a late call-up to the starting XI for our last home game, the 2-1 win over Brighton, after Luke Shaw fell ill in the warm-up and he assisted Marcus Rashford’s stunning goal which proved to be decisive.

Tuesday's opponents Burnley adopt a similar approach to the Seagulls, and Dalot is clear about what the Reds will need to do in order to overcome a well-organised side like the Clarets.

“Just to play forward, keep the ball for ourselves, try to score goals, and then be prepared for every kind of situation that Burnley can give to us,” Diogo outlined in the exclusive interview with the programme.

“I think, as long as we are comfortable with our game and play forward, we will be closer to winning the fixture.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home