Will Power

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Foster 'Can Be The Best'

Sir Alex Ferguson reiterated his belief that Ben Foster will soon be England’s number one after the United stopper kept a clean sheet against Orlando Pirates in Durban.

It was Foster’s first full 90 minutes in the first team since he made his United debut against Derby County in March and he was twice called upon to make sharp saves.

The Reds’ boss was delighted with the 24-year-old’s performance and expects big things from the goalkeeper this season.

“With the ability he has, Ben is certainly going to be challenging for a first-team place,” Sir Alex said.

“That’s also good news for England. They’ve brought David James back in and if they’ve gone back to an experienced goalkeeper it tells you there’s an opportunity there for Ben.

“Edwin will start the season as number one. Remember, Ben’s in competition with one of the best goalkeepers of all time. There’s no way I’d discount Edwin van der Sar after his performances for us.

“The potential of Ben Foster is there for all to see and if he’s patient he’ll get his chance. Goalkeepers can have longer careers than outfield players – Edwin can easily play until he’s 40. Ben’s only 24 so he has 14 or 15 years left. There’s no need for the boy to panic. His time will come.”

Foster knows how difficult it will be to break into the starting XI, but he told MUTV he’s determined to keep working hard.

“I have to be confident,” he said. “Like Edwin and Tomasz, I want to play. All I can do is go out on the training pitch and work hard, and when I get a chance in games I need to do as well as I can.

“I’m looking to push Edwin and Tomasz all the way – it’s going to be a good fight for the goalkeeper’s jersey.

“[The match on Tuesday in Durban] was my first game in four or five months, so it was nice to blow the cobwebs out.

"I was a bit rusty at times but it was good to keep a clean sheet. The key to being a good United goalkeeper is to be on your toes for 90 minutes and expect the unexpected. They had a shot at the end but that was about all I had to do."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home