Will Power

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Rooney: Berba Will Help Me

Wayne Rooney believes he will become a better player in the presence of Dimitar Berbatov - but he says the strength of United's attack means he is not guaranteed a place in the side.

The 22-year-old striker hopes his new £30million team-mate will bring continuity to his role up front, where he says playing alongside a player of Berbatov's experience will help him improve.

"The mere fact he is at Old Trafford should take me onto a different level," he says. "I am not guaranteed my place in the side anymore."

While Rooney shares some characteristics with Carlos Tevez, Berbatov has style different to anything else United have got, which is why Rooney feels he will be suited to playing alongside the Bulgarian.

"More than anything I like playing just off a front man," said Rooney, currently on international duty with England. "It's probably because I get on the ball more. I don't like to be out of the game too long.

"Some centre-forwards can stay up front, not touch the ball and just look to score goals. I don't really enjoy doing that. I like to be involved in the game. Mainly at United I have been used in different roles but maybe the fact Dimitar has arrived will bring some continuity to my game."

Rooney admits he likes the pressure of needing to perform to secure his place in the side, citing United's recent clash with Bolton, in which he came off the bench to score his first goal of the season. "I like to play under pressure," he said. "The other week when the manager left me out against Bolton, I was disappointed. I just wanted to get on the pitch as quickly as I could and show him what I could do. I like to prove people wrong if I can."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home