Will Power

Friday, March 27, 2009

Foster Wants Future With Man. United

Goalkeeper Ben Foster says he has no plans to quit Manchester United despite admitting staying at Old Trafford could compromise his international prospects.

The 25-year-old is in line for only his second England cap in Saturday's friendly against Slovakia at Wembley.

Foster has not started a Premier League match all season.

"You don't expect to be picked for England when you are not playing, but I don't want to leave Manchester United," he told BBC Sport.

Foster added: "Manchester United are the biggest club in the world.

"I know if I stay there, I will get my chance and I will be ready to take it. Anywhere else would be a step down. I've just got to bide my time."

Foster has suffered a series of injuries since Fabio Capello replaced Steve McClaren as England manager 15 months ago.

But a man-of-the-match performance against Tottenham in the Carling Cup final in February has brought the former Watford keeper back into international contention.

"I can't complain about not being number one at the moment, Edwin is doing a fantastic job," he said.

"I just have to wait until the summer comes and try and start again next season. I want to stay there as long as I can."

And Foster dismissed suggestions about going on loan.

"The manager wasn't going to let me out on loan, I wouldn't think that's an option," he added.

However, former England number one Peter Shilton - England's most capped player with 127 appearances - urged Foster to reconsider, telling BBC Radio 5 Live: "From an England point of view, you want your keeper playing regularly and Ben has to do that.

"It looks like he has been earmarked as the next Manchester United keeper which will be very good, but for now Edwin van der Sar is the number one and that means Ben isn't playing. Short-term that's not good."

Should Foster secure first-team football, Shilton sees no reason why he cannot stake a claim to be England's new first-choice.

"There's no-one at the moment you can point at and say 'he is definitely England's number one'," he said. "I don't think you can place all your eggs in David James's basket.

"Ben has had his injuries but he's come back in one big game and performed impressively so he's done nothing wrong. He looks the part."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home