Will Power

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Gibson Aims High

Darron Gibson says his match-winning goal at Hull was the perfect way to cap a memorable season for the young midfielder.

Gibson’s 25-yard screamer gave an under-strength United side all three points at the KC Stadium in what was the Irishman’s 14th appearance of the 2008/09 campaign.

“This season has been brilliant for me,” he told MUTV. “I’ve got a lot of experience and played a lot more games than I thought I would.

"I’ve really enjoyed it and I’m looking forward to next season where I’ll try and push for a regular spot in the first-team. That’s the aim.”

Gibson’s rattled in a number of long-distance efforts for the Reserves over the last few years, but he admits his strike on Sunday topped them all.

“It’s my first in the Premier League, so it’s probably my best,” he said.

The Irishman's goal was all that separated the sides on a day when Sir Alex made 10 changes to the team that drew 0-0 against Arsenal at Old Trafford eight days earlier.

But it was far from a meaningless fixture: Hull were fighting for top-flight survival, while United's youngsters all had points to prove.

Gibson said: “[The win at Hull] showed there’s good strength and depth in the squad and the young lads are good enough to come in and do a job in any game.”

And while Gibson's unlikely to feature in Wednesday's Champions League final in Rome, he will be travelling with the squad and revealed spirits are high in the United camp.

"Everyone’s looking forward to the match. Hopefully we can go out there, play well and get a result."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home