Will Power

Friday, August 7, 2009

A Dream Come True

Tom Cleverley admitted he had realised a boyhood dream, by bagging his first Stretford End strike in the Reds’ friendly victory over Valencia.

The combative young midfielder calmly stroked home the second goal in a deserved victory, capping an impressive all-round display in style.

Speaking to MUTV after the match, Tom beamed: “It’s every boy’s dream, isn’t it? I couldn’t ask for much better. When I found out I was in the squad I was delighted, and I wouldn’t have thought I’d be standing there, after I’d scored at the Stretford End!

“It’s what you strive for, to get in the first team and to score at the Stretford End. I’ve seen my friend (Danny) Welbeck do it and I was jealous of him when he did it (against Stoke last season), now I’ve done it and I’m just so proud.”

Naturally, Tom is already hankering for further senior involvement after his impressive outing, but he concedes that he has no idea what the coming season holds for him.

“I was told last week I’d be training with the first team this week, then I got put in the squad," he said. "It’s all happened a bit fast, but obviously it’s my first game at Old Trafford for the first team but I think I did well.

“When you train with the first team day in, day out it makes you work harder and see you can do it. I want to play in the first team here and get a look-in. It doesn’t come much better than playing with those sorts of players and in that sort of stadium, so now I’ve had a taste I want more now.

“I’m not too sure (what the future holds), to be honest. The plan was to go on loan , but I’ll just see if I figure in the Gaffer’s plans now and just take every game as it comes.”

Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed that Cleverley is highly-coveted property, and admits that he is still undecided on how best to further the youngster's undoubted promise.

"We don’t know what to do, in fairness," he said. "A lot of clubs have been in for him, one or two Premier division teams in fact. He’s going to be a good player, the boy. He does need experience of playing, and it’s something that I’m looking at, whether we put him out on loan."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home