Will Power

Friday, November 13, 2009

Fletch: Nowhere Else I'd Rather Be

In part two of this interview with Darren Fletcher, the Scot discusses his role in the team, the inspiration of Ryan Giggs and reveals why he doesn't want to play football anywhere else in the world...

As you’ve developed into one of the key players, do you feel more pressure to control games and dictate play?
Everyone has to influence the game and as a central midfielder you can’t hide from that because you’re right in the middle of it all. There are loads of different ways you can be an influence, whether it’s winning tackles, picking out passes or setting the tempo of the play – but I see those things as my job. We have so many talented players that I don’t feel there’s an emphasis on me to win games, but I know my role in the team and I don’t try to go beyond that. If I’m doing my job right and everyone else does their job, with the quality we have we’ll come together and win. There are times when you have to step it up but everyone in this team knows their roles. Sometimes you have to sacrifice yourself for the greater need of the team so that someone else can come up with the winning goal or bit of magic. That’s something I’ve learned to do.

Pundits put you in the top bracket of midfielders in the country alongside Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Michael Essien and Scholes. Do you see yourself within that company?
[Smiles] It’s not for me to say... I hope I bring something to the team that is needed and valued. I’m playing for one of the best teams in the world. That’s something I’m proud of. There are brilliant midfielders in this league and I love testing myself against them. You hear about great midfielders and there’s nothing better than having a real go at them to see how good they are. That’s a challenge I’ve always enjoyed, whether it’s playing against top teams in Europe, in England, or against Roy Keane and Paul Scholes in training as I have done over the years. It’s still a challenge every day in training against Scholesy. I really enjoy it and playing against players of his quality helps me a great deal.

The Liverpool and Chelsea midfields seem to be far more heavily praised by the press than United’s. Do you feel the Reds’ midfield is underrated?
We heard it all summer from different people, ‘United’s midfield is this, United’s midfield is that’. That’s fine. It doesn’t bother us, we know what we’re capable of doing and I know how good these players are. We probably have more central midfielders than any other position at the club, and there’s so much ability to choose from. Maybe at the other clubs they have their set midfielders who turn out for the team most weeks, but we have six or more who can play. But I think that’s to our advantage. We have more strength in depth than the other top teams and, in my opinion, definitely just as much ability. It may be that we don’t receive as much limelight as the midfielders at other clubs, but we’re league champions. I know which I’d take given the choice! It’s all about the medals you have won come the end of your career. Ryan Giggs is the inspiration for a lot of players in this team. You want to be recognised as a good player, but also you want to look back on your career and feel proud of what you achieved. If we go unnoticed all season and win the league you won’t hear any of us complaining.

Does Giggsy inspire you to keep striving to improve, rather than settle for what you have done so far?
If I look at what I’ve achieved, then at what Giggsy has done, he blows me out of the water [laughs]. It makes you think: “Yes, I’ve achieved quite a bit, but there’s still so much more I can do.” So many of the lads have such great respect for Giggsy. You hear some of them talking in the dressing room, saying ‘What would you give to have done everything he has in the game?’ He’s the inspiration for players such as Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, Michael Carrick, John O’Shea, Wes Brown... we all want to get to that level and achieve as much as he has done. I’m not saying we will, but he is the benchmark. He sets the standard.

Does having someone who’s achieved so much prevent any complacency among the players?
Yes, it does. Avoiding complacency is a trait of the club – from the manager down through the more experienced players. Complacency is a part of human nature, you can settle for what you already have, but at every possible opportunity it’s reiterated to you here that you can’t rest on your laurels.

Can you achieve everything you want to do at United?
Definitely. There’s nowhere else I want to be. I have no aspirations to play anywhere else – in this country or abroad. I’m already at the biggest and best club in the world. Anywhere after this would be a step down. You don’t know what the future holds - you can never say never – but as long as I’m happy and playing regularly at United, there’s nowhere else I’d rather be. I’ve been here since I was 15 and I want to continue at United and be part of this club’s success for years to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home