Will Power

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Obertan: I'm Ready For This Test

United fans are good at recognising quality, and in Gabriel Obertan they see plenty of potential and promise. Speaking to ManUtd.com for the first time since joining from Bordeaux, the French winger discusses his love for the English game, reveals how he's settled at OT, and outlines his plans to become a first-team regular...

It must have been frustrating getting your big move then having to sit on the sidelines. Are you pleased to finally be playing now?
After four months of just waiting and resting, I’ve been really looking forward to starting my career as a Manchester United player. I wanted to feel part of the squad, part of the group, and be involved in the games. So I’m feeling really good right now.

Saying that, did the time out help you to settle in England?
I think there were definitely some positives to it, and even though I was frustrated at not playing I tried to look at it in a positive way. In my disappointment, there were good things I could take from it. I got to know everybody at the club, I could begin to understand how things work here and get settled in England.

What are your early impressions of the club?
Manchester United has made a huge impression on me already. I knew it was a big club, of course. Bordeaux is a big club in France, but you come here and it is totally different. This is a world class club and it’s a totally different organisation. The quality of the players is different as well. Here there are only international players. Everything is quicker and the quality of the football is unbelievable.

Did you see your move to United coming or was it a surprise?
I knew United were interested because Jim Ryan (head of youth development) came to watch me play four years ago. I knew there was interest there but I didn’t expect the move to happen so early in my career. But I felt ready for it, I knew I was ready for the challenge and the change in my life. It was like a new beginning for me and I am just glad to be here and have the opportunity to play for this great club.

What are the main footballing differences between England and France?
The quality at United is higher than I experienced in France. Also the amount of contact, there are a lot more physical challenges than in France, and the speed of the game – it’s so fast. It's much slower in France, where you have time to look for space around you or pick out a pass. Here, everything is in a rush, because if you don’t rush then you will be tackled and lose the ball.

You seem to have the right attributes to cope with that…
I’ve always liked English football. When I was in France I would watch English football every weekend. And I think you're right, for my qualities I believe this is the best league in Europe for me. I’m quite fast and I like to attack and be in one v one situations with defenders.

What was it like making your debut at Old Trafford? What was going through your mind as you were about to come on?
I felt proud to be here and glad to get my first real injury out of the way. Obviously I’d played in the Reserves and enjoyed playing against Barnsley in the cup, but stepping out at Old Trafford is something else because I’ve never played in a stadium like that before. I was so excited and just couldn’t way to play and get on the pitch. It felt like the first step. I was a bit nervous at first, but after five minutes it felt like I’d been playing here for three years or something. The fans really get behind you and it’s a great sensation.

The fans have taken to you really quickly, chanting your name at matches…
I am very proud of that. It gives you a huge push when you are playing and you hear people singing your name. It’s like you have other forces behind you. It’s also made me feel very welcome here, and if I hear the fans singing my name I just want to give them something back by playing well and keep working hard for them.

And what do you hope to achieve at United?
At first I just want to be part of the squad, be in the group that travels to all the games, and get a few minutes in each game to begin with. Then, if I keep working hard and show what I can do, I have ambition. So, why not aim to be a regular in the team? I might need a year to achieve that, but I hope I can do it.