Will Power

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Fletcher Salutes Character

Darren Fletcher was swift to pay tribute to CSKA Moscow's players after their impressive showing at Old Trafford, but the Scottish midfielder also took time to salute United's never-say-die attitude.

The Russians roared into a 3-1 lead, but were ultimately pegged back to a 3-3 draw which took the Reds through to the last 16 of this season's Champions League.

"We knew it was a big game for them and we expected them to try to impress and they did that," Fletch told MUTV. "We had a lot of chances and feel we should have won the game, but they deserve credit for scoring three goals at Old Trafford. The character we showed to come back and get that point was brilliant.

"It's always disappointing to concede goals and that can't be overlooked, but the character we showed to come back from 3-1 down was really important."

Fletcher, who made his return after missing a month of action through injury, was at the centre of a controversial - and potentially costly - incident as he was clearly tripped inside the CSKA area, only to be booked for diving.

"It's a penalty," he insisted. "I turned in the box and the lad just took my feet. I didn't try to fall, he just swept me. When the referee blew his whistle I thought, great we've got a penalty and then he started walking towards me with a yellow card - I couldn't believe it. Hopefully my luck [with cards] will change in the latter stages!

"It's nice to be back. I've not played for a while and there's always a few cobwebs in your first game back. But I felt fine in terms of the injury and my fitness. My overall sharpness and touch isn't there just yet, but that game will certainly help."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home