Will Power

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Owen Hails Team Effort

Hat-trick hero Michael Owen saluted his team-mates following United's fine victory over Wolfsburg.

The deadly striker put the Reds in front just before the interval, and then grabbed two more in the final ten minutes to secure top spot in Champions League Group B for the thrice European champions.

It was Owen's second three-goal haul in Germany, having fired England to a 5-1 win in Munich back in 2001. But while he was clearly delighted with this individual feat, the Reds' number seven was keen to share the plaudits with his colleagues.

Owen said: “Obviously I’ve scored a few hat-tricks in my time but it’s nice to get one that caps off a great team display. Me getting the three goals will probably grab the headlines but I thought it was an excellent team performance tonight.

"I was playing a bit deeper than normal because with us having so many players out we had to protect our back three," he added, explaining how the reshuffling of the side affected him.

"Me and Danny (Welbeck) were dropping in and trying to pick up their central midfielders where possible, while hopefully getting into the Wolfsburg box when there were chances to do so.

“European football is a different type of football to the domestic game. If you get one chance you’ve got to stick it away and thankfully we nicked a goal just before half-time.”

Owen and United are now looking forward to further European adventures in the New Year, following the draw for the knock-out rounds on December 18.

“It’s great being top of the league so we play at home second (in the next round)," said Owen.

"I’m not going to lie, you want as weak a side as possible (in the draw). I don’t know the other results tonight, and there are more to come tomorrow, but you want to avoid the big boys.”

Finally, after earning the match ball, Owen assured us that it was in safe hands.

“I’ve given it to the masseur, I get a bit shy when I’m holding it as it draws attention to me! Hopefully he’ll get it signed by the lads and then pop it in my bag when we get back to Manchester.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home