Will Power

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Q&A: Antonio Valencia

United's Ecuador winger has impressed in his first season at Old Trafford, scoring six goals along the way, and he's looking to help the Reds to a crucial victory in north London this weekend...

Besides Wayne Rooney and Patrice Evra, you’ve played more games than anyone for United this term. Did you expect that?
To be honest, I didn’t expect to be playing as much as I have. I thought I’d be used sparingly at first and then more as I settled in at the club, but as a footballer you train hard so that you’re always prepared to play. Then it’s down to the manager to make the decisions, and he has given me lots of opportunities. I’m really enjoying my United career so far, and this is just the start.

You were voted ManUtd.com's player of the month in both November and December. Is it nice to be recognised by fans?
It’s a source of motivation to keep working harder and harder and to keep trying to win these awards. The fans are incredibly important, so it’s very nice to get that recognition from them.

Why do you think your goalscoring has improved so markedly since your Wigan days?
I’m getting into the box more than ever before in my career. I’m encouraged to get forward and there are a lot of balls coming in from the left side, so I’ve been able to get to the far post and get on the end of a few crosses.

Do United have a big following in Ecuador, now that you play for the Reds?
I wouldn't say all of Ecuador are now United fans, but certainly my family and friends have converted. They’re all big football fans, though; they don’t just watch the games for me. A lot of them came over to Manchester in December and stayed to watch a couple of games. Luckily one of those was the Wigan game, so they got to see me score!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home