Will Power

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Anderson's Ready To Go

Sir Alex described Anderson as having “a face like a bag of tripe when I don't play him" in a typically dry-witted assessment of his midfielder’s reaction to being left out of the team. It’s rare to see the boy from Porto Alegre (literally ‘Joyous Port’) not grinning. So he hopes there’s plenty to smile about for the remainder of the season...

How do you think this season has gone for you?
I feel it’s gone quite well. I’ve played in a few games and I think I’ve done well. I’m very happy to be at United. I hope that I can be here for a long time and do even better for the team in the future.

Sir Alex says you always look so unhappy when he doesn’t pick you. Does that sum up your determination to play for United?
Yes, I think so. No footballer is happy when they are out of the team. If you’re not bothered being on the bench or in the stands you will never be successful, certainly not at a club like United. You have to be unhappy if you’re not in the team. But even when I am not included I always support my team-mates. I’d love to start every match, but when this doesn’t happen I support my colleagues because we’re a team and we stick together.

How tough is it competing with so many other top midfielders at United?
I see it as a great challenge. It’s good to have competition around you because that’s the way to get the best out of players. If everyone is competing for places, the performance levels will always be higher.

You’ve played in a number of different roles – an advanced midfielder, more defensively, or wide left – do you have a preferred role?
I prefer to play further up the pitch in a more attacking role because I think that suits my game. And the system that Manchester United play gives me the freedom to do what I do best. So I prefer a more attacking role.

You’ve said you’re still not satisfied with your scoring record. Are you working on improving in that department?
I’ve been doing everything I can to improve but, of course, no player that plays in my position is happy if they score just one goal in one season. I want to add goals to my game, and I’m always trying my best. I want to do well here, I feel happy here. But to me the goalscoring record isn’t a problem, if it doesn’t happen this season then I know it will come next season. I cannot, and will not, give up trying to achieve that. I’m happy with the way my career is developing.

United have suffered a lot of injuries this term. But with players coming back, is confidence high in the dressing room that the team can be successful?
We’re well-placed in the title race, in the final of the Carling Cup and we’re in the last 16 of the Champions League. It’s true that with players returning from injury we’ll be even stronger – and that will only helps us in our aim to make history in English football and become the first team to win four league titles in a row. We’re all very confident.

How hopeful are you of making Brazil’s World Cup squad?
At this moment I’m focused only on doing well for United. If I do well and earn a place in the national team for the World Cup that would be fantastic. But if I don’t, I will still support them as a fan. My main aim is United, that’s my priority. I’d be chuffed to play at a World Cup, but I have many years ahead of me in the game so I hope to have more opportunities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home