Will Power

Friday, April 16, 2010

Mistakes Make You Stronger

Patrice Evra admits Rafael will learn from the experience of being sent off in United’s Champions League quarter-final second leg, but says he’s baffled by those who blame the young Brazilian for the Reds’ European exit.

“People are talking as if Rafael has killed someone,” Evra told ManUtd.com. “A player who’s 29 or 32 can make the same mistake.

“Okay, the first yellow card [issued for kicking out at Mark van Bommel], he shouldn’t have done that. But the second one, I think the German players, as well as my France team-mate Franck Ribery, put pressure on the referee.”

While Rafael’s dismissal certainly had an impact on the second leg – United had to play 40 minutes with 10 men – Evra says those looking for scapegoats should remember the Reds’ performance in Munich eight days earlier.

“We should have won that game,” he says. “We didn’t show the same spirit like we did in the second leg."

Mistakes are part and parcel of football, and although Evra has been one of the Reds' most consistent performers this season, he knows as well as anyone how difficult life can be as a Manchester United player. What’s important, he stresses, is how you react to disappointment.

“You need to make mistakes to be a good player – you learn from them, you become stronger mentally. Rafael is a good player and he will be a different-class player now he has had this experience.

“When I came here I was 24 and I had already played for France and reached the final of the Champions League with Monaco. But the first six months at Old Trafford was difficult. I didn’t expect I’d receive such a big slap in the face, but I went on to show why United bought me.

“Against Bayern Munich, I think Rafael played brilliantly. He won’t be sad after this experience – we won’t let him be sad. The morning after I told him to smile, to be happy, because he has the privilege of playing for Manchester United.

“I know the mentality of Rafael. He has a lot of hunger and I’m sure he’ll be one of the best right backs United have ever had.”

Patrice Evra was talking to ManUtd.com, Press Association, BBC Radio Manchester and Key 103.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home