Will Power

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Evra: I Let United Down

Manchester United defender Patrice Evra feels like he let his team down after failing to retain the Premier League title.

Sir Alex Ferguson's side relinquished control of their crown after Chelsea hammered Wigan on Sunday, ending hopes of an unprecedented fourth straight triumph.

It meant the 4-0 triumph over Stoke at Old Trafford was in vain as Carlo Ancelotti's men held onto their one point advantage over their rivals.

The outcome left Evra feeling like he had not done enough for his team having previously won the title in each season since his 2006 switch to the club.

He said: "I always say when we don't win the Premier League it feels like I have not done my job for the team. When you play for Manchester United you must always win.

"In four (full) years with Manchester United this was the first time I have never won the league and I feel strange. To finish second is good but it is not my mentality."

The disappointing end to the season saw United finish with just one trophy to their name, the Carling Cup.

Evra was captain of the side that beat Aston Villa in February and the Frenchman revealed he would take solace in claiming at least some silverware.

The left back has been one of the most consistent performers in a United shirt throughout the campaign having made 51 appearances - more than anyone else in the Old Trafford ranks.

But the 28-year-old refused to dwell on his personal glory, and instead reflected on a season where he felt his team had let their trophy hunt slip.

He added: "I am very proud about that (the Carling Cup win). I was in good form and everyone has congratulated me on my season.

"It is not just about playing, it is about performing and I performed for 51 games.

"But every year I play for Manchester United I want to win. Here you have to be first.

"This year I don't feel we have done the job very well. I congratulate Chelsea but I feel like Manchester United have given them the league."

The French international will now focus his attention on the World Cup finals in South Africa where he hopes to compensate for his domestic disappointment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home