Will Power

Friday, July 23, 2010

Learning From The Master

For any young midfielder learning his trade, playing alongside a living blueprint of brilliance like Paul Scholes can only be beneficial.

Tom Cleverley confirmed as much after partnering the 35-year-old to great effect during United's friendly victory over Philadelphia Union.

"Playing for United and alongside someone like Scholesy is what every young lad dreams of," Tom told ManUtd.com. "He’s a great mentor for me – I look to him every day in training and he’s definitely someone I can learn a lot from.

"The likes of Scholesy and Giggsy always have a picture in their heads about what they want to do with the ball and their first time passing is second to none. The way they go about training and matches means they’re two of the best in the world to learn from."

Cleverley shone on loan in a struggling Watford side last season, and pinned down a regular starting berth for England's under-21 side. Now, he's ready to take another huge step up to life at the top level.

"Last year was a big season for me and I hope this one will be even bigger," he said. "This year I’ve got to prove myself in the Premier League like I have done in the Championship and League One. That’s the challenge for me.

"Being on the tour and amongst the first team has been fantastic. You’re watching and learning from the experienced lads all the time and you try to put that into practice."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home