Will Power

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Wes Grilled By Readers

Wes Brown took time out from his pre-season work during the North America tour to answer questions from ManUtd.com readers...

How did you spend your summer break? - Richie Kelly
I had about seven weeks off and had a good rest. I visited a few different countries – Morocco, Spain and Tenerife and I also went to Sheasy’s wedding in Dublin which was great. It’s the most time I’ve ever had off but during the last week I was just desperate to get back to Carrington and get going again.

Having not featured for England at the World Cup, do you look back on your exclusion with regret or relief given England’s disappointing performance? - Christopher Wright
Even if I’d have got picked I don’t think I would have played. We’ve got the players to do well, but we just didn’t get going and it was a very disappointing tournament for us. We played well in the qualifiers, but it didn’t happen in South Africa. We’ve just got to try and get going again when we next meet up.

What are your views on video technology (i.e. goal-line technology) in football? Do most players think it should be introduced? - Nick Kelly
I think it’s got to be brought in for the goal line. I was as disappointed as everyone else when I saw Frank’s [Lampard] effort disallowed against Germany. The ball was so far over it was incredible. It would only take a few seconds to check whether the ball had gone over. It works well in tennis and I think it would be a great addition to our game.

How important is the pre-season tour when it comes to shaping things for the season that ahead? - Oliver Edwards
It’s very important because it sets us up for the start of the campaign. It’s hard work, but coming to America is brilliant. The weather is good and we’re visiting some great cities. It’s not as hectic as some places we travel to and things are a little but more relaxed because not a lot of people recognise us out here so we’re able to go for a wander and do a bit of shopping!

Could America become a force to be reckoned with in world football? - Richard Sumner
I’ve been very impressed by them and they look like they’re getting stronger and stronger. Soccer is getting bigger all the time in the States and so many kids are playing the game now that it can only continue to become more popular.

What have you made of new signing Chris Smalling so far? What sort of a defender is he? - George Wadsley
Chris is a great lad and he’s fitted in brilliantly. He’s been training really well – he looks very fit and sharp and I’m sure he’ll be ready and raring to go for the start of the season.

When the fixtures are announced, what’s the first game you look for? - Juan Treminio
There are a few – City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal, but for me City is the big one, then I’d say Liverpool then Chelsea. This year I was looking out for the games against Blackpool as well – they should be great to play in.

Last season the top terrace tune was all about Wes Brown being the hardest man in all the town. What did you make of the song? And how did Nemanja feel about you taking the hard-man tag? - Andrew Kilduff
[Laughs] The funny thing was the fans first started singing it when I wasn’t playing! It’s a great song and it’s always nice when the supporters sing your name. Vida’s got no problems with it – he knows I’m a local lad, but I don’t know about me being the hardest man in town!

When are you going to bring back your Afro? What can we expect, hair-wise, from you this season? - Claire Heffer
I’m going for the skinhead look this season – a No.1 all over! I’m not doing anything else with it so the Afro won’t be coming back am afraid.

Who are the best players you’ve played with, and the toughest opponent you’ve faced? - Jamie Ward
The best players I’ve played with would have to be Giggsy, Scholesy, Ronaldo, Wayne, Yorke and Coley – the list goes on. Toughest opponent has to be Zidane. I remember marking him when he was at Real Madrid and I honestly don’t think I touched the ball! He was an incredible player. Messi is another. I’ll always remember playing against him in the Champions League semi-final [in 2008]. There was so much riding on both games, particularly the one at Old Trafford. It was a tough night and we really had to defend well, but it was also a pleasure to play against a player like him.

How do you manage to stay so calm during the games? You never complain to the referees, you never get into fights with other players... I admire it, but I can’t understand it! - Simon Soltan-Zadeh
That’s just how I am and the way I’ve always played. It doesn’t mean I’m not getting fired up inside and if the ball is there to be won I’ll put everything into the tackle. Otherwise though I’m just happy to get on with things and do my best for the team.

What advice would you give to young footballers who suffer long-term injuries? How do you keep mustering the mental strength to come back? - Craig Attwood
You’ve got to keep you head up and stay positive and it’s very important to listen to what the medical team tell you. I’ve always tried to keep positive whenever I’ve been injured and never contemplated not coming back. You’ve just got to follow the advice of the physios, work hard and do your best to get yourself fit again.

Do you think you’ll ever get the chance to play for United alongside your brother, Reece? What would that mean to you? - Michael John Allen
That would be absolutely brilliant. Even though there’s 12 years between us I really hope we can do it because it would be a great thing for our family. Even playing together in a Reserves match would be fantastic. I watch as many of his games as I can – he’s still learning, but hopefully he can keep doing well.

What is the fondest memory of your football career? - Andrew Hanssen
My debut [against Leeds in May 1999] and the 1999 and 2008 Champions League finals. The first final was unbelievable in terms of how we won it and winning the Treble, but to actually play in the final in 2008 and win it was fantastic.

What do you remember about your first football boots? - Hardik Jaisingh
[Pauses] I played football from a really young age, but I didn’t actually get my first pair of proper boots until I was about nine when I started playing Sunday League football. I think they were a pair of Dunlops!

Who’s the worst dressed member of the team? - Adan Mezzino
That’s an easy one – Tomasz Kuszczak by a mile! A lot of his clothes have been hung up in the dressing rooms on many occasions.

Who, besides Sir Alex, has offered the best guidance to you throughout your career at United? - Abdullah Adam
There have been quite a few people, but one that sticks out is Laurent Blanc. He gave me lots of advice when he was at the club, just little things here and there. He always talked about the different aspects of defending and really helped me with my game.

A few of the lads are doing their coaching badges. Are you one of them? Do you have any desire to go into coaching when you retire? - Mark Heaton
No, I’m not doing them. I thought about it but I’m happy to concentrate on playing at the moment. I haven’t thought about what I’ll do after I finish playing and at the moment coaching isn’t something I think I’ll go into. But you never know.

Players often swap shirts at the final whistle. Do you keep the shirts and which ones do you treasure most? - Darren Johnson
I never really end up swapping shirts, but I have managed to pick up a few over the years. My favourite is probably the one I got from Zidane. As I said before he was an unbelievable player.

Who’s your favourite footballer of all time? - Lisa Thomas
It’s going to sound daft this but I’d have to say Giggsy. Of course, you’ve got the likes of Maradona and Pele who were world-class players, but for me it’s Giggsy. His overall game and his achievements are just incredible. You get one-offs every now and again and he’s certainly one of them. To have performed consistently well at the top level for such a long time and stayed with one team is amazing. It’s difficult to think of anyone else like Ryan; Sir Bobby [Charlton] is probably the only other player to compare with Giggsy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home