Will Power

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Berba Strives For Beauty

“This could be Dimitar’s season,” declared Sir Alex Berbatov's sublime goal at Wembley. His deft lob over Chelsea goalkeeper Hilario clinched a record 18th Community Shield for the Reds. Now the Bulgarian says he’s aiming to play a major part adding yet more silverware to the collection…

Did you take time over the summer to analyse the last campaign?
Yes, I thought about it during my time back home in Bulgaria. We all wanted to win the title and we gave our best to do that, but things ended on a disappointing note. When one season finishes though, it’s not long until another starts and everyone feels ready to go again.

You retired from international football in May – what were your reasons and how will it benefit your club career?
Everything comes to an end at some point and I said to myself a long time ago that when I got nearer to 30 I would step down and let the younger guys take over. You need to know when to stop and that was the right moment for me. Now I can concentrate fully on my football with United, have a bit more rest during the season and enjoy watching my country.

The manager has said this could be your season – do you agree?
I want this to be our season. The most important thing is for the team to be successful and we’re all looking forward to the challenge. We want to win every competition we’re in and it’s important that we entertain the fans as well – for me that’s what football is all about.

Players always talk about learning every season at United - what have you learned during your two campaigns with the Reds?
When you come to play with the best you know you have to work hard to be on their level. And when you make that step you start to grow up, on and off the pitch. When you join the club you realise what a great place it is to learn. It’s like a school for the young players to learn how to become the best. It’s a unique club and a real family club. Whenever you hear anyone say ‘Manchester United’ you immediately think of the biggest team in the world and when you have a chance to come here and see what it’s like on the inside you feel very lucky to be part of it.

Your fellow striker Javier Hernandez has already made a positive impact - what advice would you give him in terms of dealing with the media spotlight at United?
I’m not used to giving advice! He just needs to listen to people closest to him and the boss and keep doing what he’s been doing. I saw his goals at the World Cup, and during pre-season I’ve seen how well he trains and his performances in games and he’s also a great guy. If he continues like this I think he has a very bright future.

His arrival, coupled with Michael Owen’s return to fitness, gives the manager great options up front…
Yes, definitely. There is great competition for places in every game which makes you more motivated to produce your best every day and show the boss you want to keep developing. That helps you improve as a player and ultimately helps the team.

And what are your personal aims for the season?
I just want to play well, enjoy myself and score and make goals. Football is like art and my aim is to create beautiful things on the pitch to help the team be successful. Our aim is to win the title back and I know we have the players to do it.

The fan's question...
Who do you regard as the greatest ever Bulgarian footballer? - Jake_G

There are many greats. When there was communism in our country, players weren't allowed to play abroad so they stayed in Bulgaria. Therefore they weren't known by a lot of people outside of our country, where they were legends. Of course, you have Stoichkov, Penev, Kostadinov, Balakov... they were part of a great generation. I hope that when I finish playing I'll be alongside them as well.

Quick questions
What do you get up to off the field?
Now I have my daughter I don’t have a lot of time for much else! I love spending time with my family, watching films and I enjoy drawing.

Have you drawn any of your team-mates?
[Laughs] Whatever I see I can draw! I’ve done caricatures of Vida, Fletch and Wazza. We had a good laugh about them – I think they liked them.

What other sports do you enjoy?
American football, basketball, baseball, even wrestling!

What music do you listen to?
I like hip-hop, R&B and Bulgarian music.

A few fans have asked about your new tattoo…
I always try to design my own. I spent a lot of time playing around with designs for this one. I’m now working on my new one.

What TV shows do you always Sky+?
I watch a lot of American shows - I’m a fan of House, Mad Men, The Sopranos, Heroes, Lost, Nip/Tuck…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home