Will Power

Friday, October 22, 2010

Rafael: I Have Learned A Lot

Brazilian defender Rafael made his 50th United appearance against Bursaspor on Wednesday night. It was the 20-year-old's first European outing at Old Trafford since last season's fateful quarter-final second leg, when he was sent off against Bayern Munich and the Reds exited the competition.

Rafael spoke exclusively to us before the Bursaspor game and was open and honest about that disappointment... and his love for crisps.

How do you feel looking back on that game against Bayern Munich?
Well, I’ve learnt a lot. I was probably a little silly to give away my first yellow card [for a kick at Mark van Bommel] but the second one [a tug on Franck Ribery's shirt]… I never thought the referee would show me one for that. But the lessons I learned were important – not just in football but in my life. Now I have to put that behind me and focus on the future.

What was the mood like in the dressing room after the match?
In my head I was sure everyone was looking at me as if to say, ‘What have you done?’. But Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes came over straight away, spoke to me and offered support. Not just them, either – I remember Jonny Evans, Gibbo, Rio… they were all supportive. A lot of players comforted me and gave me encouragement. That’s what this club is like.

Was that one of the most difficult nights you’ve endured in football?
It was the worst experience I’ve had in all my life. That night I learnt that in football you can go from heaven to hell in a matter of minutes. I was playing really well in the first half and then… well, you know what happened. If I hadn’t have been sent off we almost certainly would have won the match and my life would be much easier now. It would have taken a lot of weight off my shoulders. Now I feel like I have to prove myself all over again and show everybody I’m capable of being a Manchester United player.

Surely United fans know you're a very capable player…
I know, I know, but deep down I need to prove to the supporters – and, more importantly, to myself – that I can play for this great club. It’s made me very determined to succeed this season.

How tough do you expect it to be in Turkey?
I didn’t play in Besiktas last season but my brother Fabio did. He told me the fans over there are mad – they scream and shout throughout the whole 90 minutes. In those sorts of atmospheres you’d usually say a draw wouldn’t be a bad result but here at United we always go out to win.

Your often lauded for your attacking attributes. Do you feel your defensive qualities go unnoticed?
No, I don’t think so. If I’m needed to attack then I’ll get forward, but if I’m needed to do a job in defence then I’ll get back. In the past I probably pushed up a lot more than I do now. However, I’ve learned a lot playing here in England and I know you can’t always do that. I’m defending a lot more nowadays than I used to. When I go out on the pitch I feel like a defender – my job is to stop the other team scoring.

Do you think this could be the season you establish yourself as first-choice right back?
I always want to be the manager’s first choice and I’ll work hard to make that happen. When I arrived at the club I was very young and I knew I wouldn’t play all the time. It’s not that I think I shouldn’t ever be on the bench now, but I’m always hoping to play in every game. You have to be prepared to take your chance and it’s only the manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, who chooses who will take to the field. If he doesn’t choose you then you have to work even harder the next week. Patience is important.

You've now made 50 United appearances. How many more would you like to make?
I don’t want to put a limit on it but I’d like to think I could play 500 games for Manchester United. I came to England to work hard and play football and I want to do that for as long as possible. Every match I play is a dream that I fulfil in life.

Finally, you’ve been in Manchester almost three years. Do you feel a bit English now?
Well, I love crisps! I’ve always loved crisps and here in England there are loads of varieties to enjoy. Does that make me English? [laughs] Seriously though, the people here are so kind and helpful. They make me feel at home; I’m really happy in Manchester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home