Will Power

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Evans Admits United Challenge

Jonny Evans has admitted he is facing the biggest challenge of his Manchester United career after a recent dip in form.

The 22-year-old has made six Premier League starts this season but has not featured in the league since the 2-2 draw at Bolton in September.

Rio Ferdinand has recovered from injury to return alongside Nemanja Vidic as United's first-choice central-defensive pairing while Chris Smalling appears to have climbed above Evans in the pecking order since his arrival from Fulham in the summer.

Sir Alex Ferguson is set to rest Ferdinand and Vidic for Wednesday night's Champions League match with Rangers, giving Evans and Smalling rare starts.

And Evans knows the pressure is on for him to impress at Ibrox and prove he still has what it takes to be a United regular.

"This is probably the biggest challenge I have had," said the Northern Ireland international.

"It is the first time I have been taken out of the team because of performances.

"I was playing quite a bit at the start of the season but my performances were probably not up to scratch and I have been out of the team for a while.

"But I am not going to mope about it. This is a good opportunity for me.

"I played for Northern Ireland last week and got 90 minutes under my belt. When I get onto the pitch I must make sure I do the best I can."

Evans is close friends with Rangers pair Kyle Lafferty and Steven Davis, who are also key men for Northern Ireland.

And Evans even took advantage of his recent absence from the United squad to see his international team-mates playing in the Gers' Old Firm win at Parkhead last month.

"I have never been to Ibrox before but one of the benefits of being dropped was that I was able to come up for the Celtic-Rangers game," he added.

"(Rangers coach) Ian Durrant sorted me out for the tickets and it was a great experience."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home