Will Power

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sir Alex Looks Back

Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted his disbelief at becoming United’s longest-serving manager when the Reds face Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

The top-of-the-table clash will see the United boss overtake Sir Matt Busby’s record of 24 years, one month and 14 days in charge at Old Trafford, a tenure Sir Alex felt would never be furthered.

"I am surprised. I must admit it is something I never thought about for a moment - it has been frozen into the memory bank. I thought Sir Matt Busby was here forever. He started at the end of the war and went right through to winning the European Cup in 1968," the boss told Magic 1152.

"The time span seems to be much longer than mine. Of course, there are emotional issues. He had to rebuild the team after Munich. There was so much emotion. I did not have that. That is the reason he seemed to have been here forever."

Comparisons between the legendary managers are easy to make: both are passionate disciplinarians with an unrivalled hunger and desire to succeed. They're both Scottish, too, though Sir Alex is keen to point out one major difference between him and his great mentor.

"Sir Matt was a lot calmer than me," he added. "We are different characters, with different personalities. Scottish people have a determination to do well no matter what. They travel. I came down here with the single objective of being successful.

"The most important piece of advice he gave me was not to read the press. It was great advice and I have not read it since.”

With such a landmark occasion so close, the boss could not resist looking back at his United career to date, thought he insists the milestone will not get in the way of his side's aim to defeat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

The Reds boss said: "Liverpool were the dominant team in the 1980s. That is what I looked at. That was the big challenge for me. Also, the issue of ex-players at the club was something I was addressing for quite a long time. We have done that by bringing in some ambassadors. I wanted to keep all our great players around the club in some capacity.

"I had Sir Bobby Charlton on the board and Sir Matt was here as well. People like that are able to understand the dimensions of Manchester United. That is neccessary to understand the role of manager. It was very helpful to me.

"But it is not for me to place myself in the history of Manchester United. I have enough to do with my own job and getting the team ready for the game on Sunday, which is going to be very hard."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home