Will Power

Monday, January 10, 2011

Tomasz Takes His Chance

Tomasz Kuszczak was delighted with a clean sheet against Liverpool and hopes to use it to convince Sir Alex Ferguson he has what it takes to be Edwin van der Sar's successor.

The 28-year-old Polish goalkeeper now has competition from Danish shot-stopper Anders Lindegaard, who was named on the bench against Liverpool. But he was pleased with his own performance as well as the team's progression into the FA Cup fourth round.

"It was a good game and we started very well," he told MUTV. "We controlled the game but couldn't get the second goal. It would have been nice to score more goals, but it's a good win and we have to be happy with that.

"Liverpool played well in the second half and had a few chances. Teams like Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal are always dangerous when it's 1-0, even when they're down to ten men. We had chances ourselves but didn't take them.

"I just did what I had to do - not concede any goals. There were a few shots which I caught or parried, but it's always nice when you keep a clean sheet, especially after the last two games where I've not had much to do but still conceded great goals against me.

Sometimes it happens like that."

Kuszczak wasn't the only player making the most of the opportunity to perform in a high-profile game.

"Jonny [Evans] did well," added Kuszczak. "It was a big afternoon for him, just as it was for me. I get all the speculation about my situation. Every game is massive for me because I want to show that I'm good enough to overtake Edwin. For young players - I say young because I'm 28 and Edwin is 40! - we have to be ready. The same goes for Jonny or Chris Smalling. When we play, we must play well.

There's always big competition at this club, so any time the boss puts me in the team I want to do well. It's healthy and football works like that. I just want to do well when I get the chance to play and that hopefully gives me a future at United."

The Reds also have a future in the FA Cup, thanks to Sunday's win. "We're happy about that," adds Tomasz. "We're in the next round against Southampton and we're looking forward to it." Kuszczak may well have earned another chance to impress at St Mary's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home