Will Power

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Smalling Left Feeling Dejected

Chris Smalling added another towering defensive display to an already impressive portfolio in his debut United campaign against Marseille on Wednesday, but so high are the standards he has set that the 0-0 draw at the Stade Velodrome brought with it a feeling of dejection.

Smalling was a pillar of strength alongside Nemanja Vidic, so much so that the absence of Rio Ferdinand through injury was barely felt. But the goalless stalemate against Didier Deschamps's team, which leaves no margin for error at Old Trafford in the return tie next month, was nevertheless a disappointment for the 21-year-old.

"It feels like we lost the game," Smalling told MUTV. "Everyone in the dressing room was a bit dejected."

However, the result hasn't dampened his enthusiasm. "I felt we could have done a bit more out there. But it's not over and we're confident to go back to Old Trafford and finish the job.

"We didn't test their goalkeeper enough. We were solid as a shape defensively and that was our foundation. It just didn't quite click; our passing was a bit off throughout the team. Hopefully we can finish the job, we've been quite immense at Old Trafford this season.

"As the game went on we started creating more chances. So that makes us confident going into the second leg. Our fans are brilliant and I think we'll be a bit too much for them, hopefully."

Smalling has risen to the challenge during Ferdinand's injury-enforced absence and he is relishing every opportunity he gets.

"It's going really well, I'm really enjoying it," he adds. "Hopefully the games keep coming. When I get my chance I want to do myself justice and reward the manager's faith in me.

"It's been really good to play in a variety of competitions. To come and play in an atmosphere at a stadium like [Stade Veledrome] was intimidating. I'd heard it was a great atmosphere and it's a great occasion for me to come and play in.

"Hopefully I get opportunities like that because as the season goes on the games get more important. In terms of learning, I can only gain from these games."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home