Will Power

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sir Alex's Case For Defence

Sir Alex Ferguson defends his stance against what he felt was an unjust defeat to Chelsea, in his exclusive column for today's United Review.

The United boss feels he was within his rights to “stick up for my team” and promises the right kind of response to “a nightmare spell of two defeats in five days” when the Reds take on Arsenal at Old Trafford in the FA Cup.

“It has been a tumultuous week,” writes Sir Alex in the club's official match programme, a channel he uses to speak directly to the fans.

"We will get over it and along the way I will be defending myself strongly when my FA appeal hearing comes up. In fact, I am looking forward to the challenge because, to my mind, I have not said anything out of place, however much the media urge the FA to take action. The papers keep on and on about it because Manchester United are involved, and they failed to get the FA Compliance Unit to pick up on the Wayne Rooney incident in the Wigan game.

“[And] don’t read too much into the fact that I withdrew my briefings for the media; that was simply because I felt that the spotlight was burning on us so brightly that the best policy at that point was least said, soonest mended. At that particular time I didn’t think we would win the media battles, so I retreated. I won’t be on the back foot when I put my case to the FA, though. I don’t think sticking up for my team makes me a villain, especially when you consider that Manchester United have one of the best disciplinary records in the country.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home