Will Power

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Scholes Explains His Retirement

Paul Scholes has revealed that his decision to retire was taken purely on physical grounds.

The midfielder wound up his epic Reds career at the end of the season. At a media briefing ahead of his August testimonial, Scholes confirmed he stands by his choice.

"It’s something I’m still getting used to, but I knew it was the right time," he said. "There were a few games last season where I didn’t feel great, and in training as well. I thought it was probably the right time to do it and I stand by that now. You can’t go on forever, it’s all done now and I’m looking towards the future.

"I don’t think anybody wants to play a bit-part, but I’d realised that's just part and parcel of it, given the stage of my career and the way I was physically. You’re at a top club with the best players and you just have to realise your legs can’t do what you want them to do.

"If you are going to be a part of this club you have to be available from the beginning and to be able to last 90 minutes. When I was starting games I didn't feel great. I didn’t mind playing the odd game or coming on at the end of games - it was probably the right way to use me. The best I felt was when I was playing the last 15 or 20 minutes and really that's not right."

Paul was speaking to ManUtd.com, the Press Association, the Manchester Evening News, Key 103 and BBC Radio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home